Legal to buy parts for a boiler without Corgi Registration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a problem with my boiler in that the central heating pump wouldn't turn off when the heating went off and would run 24/7. It turned out to be a problem with a timer circuit on the boiler circuit board, and a new board fixed the problem quite easily.

However, when i found the problem i rang the Baxi technical helpline. They wouldn't talk to me unless i could give them a valid Corgi registration number. As it happens, my company does a lot of industrial gas installation so we are corgi registered and i was able to use that number and they were able to confirm my thinking that it was the circuit board that had failed.

Then when i rang the parts supplier, they also asked if i was corgi registered before they would talk to me about prices (though i ended up buying via the internet so a Corgi reg no. didn't matter)

The circuit board is entirely independand of the gas aspect of the bolier, so despite this, technically should i not have been able to buy the part and fit it within the letter of the law?

Sponsored Links
Its not totally independant as it controls the opening and closing of the gas valve, flame detection etc and on lots of boilers the gas rate and mixture and hence the safety of the appliance is set and controlled by the board.
However you are perfectly entitled to buy and fit the part on your own boiler if you are competent, but the suppliers are also entitled to give technical advice and sell parts to whoever they choose.

Lower said:
I've recently had a problem with my boiler in that the central heating pump wouldn't turn off when the heating went off and would run 24/7.

Guess that will be a Solo then. :?:

Lower said:
I've recently had a problem with my boiler in that the central heating pump wouldn't turn off when the heating went off and would run 24/7. It turned out to be a problem with a timer circuit on the boiler circuit board, and a new board fixed the problem quite easily.

However, when i found the problem i rang the Baxi technical helpline. They wouldn't talk to me unless i could give them a valid Corgi registration number. As it happens, my company does a lot of industrial gas installation so we are corgi registered and i was able to use that number and they were able to confirm my thinking that it was the circuit board that had failed.

Then when i rang the parts supplier, they also asked if i was corgi registered before they would talk to me about prices (though i ended up buying via the internet so a Corgi reg no. didn't matter)

The circuit board is entirely independand of the gas aspect of the bolier, so despite this, technically should i not have been able to buy the part and fit it within the letter of the law?

Parts Center sell boiler spares to anyone-corgi regd. or not.

Sponsored Links
poxi said:
Lower said:
I've recently had a problem with my boiler in that the central heating pump wouldn't turn off when the heating went off and would run 24/7.

Guess that will be a Solo then. :?:

Must be another Common fault with the bake bean can then.

Just when are you lot going to start producing a can that is reliable and not rip of the paying public.

As for not selling parts to the un-registered. Probably illegal but about bl :eek: dy time. Top marks for that at least.

On the other hand think of the extra profit :rolleyes: Sell a heap of s*it to the DIYer, then when it breaks down at Christmas just say tough, you'll have to buy another, Em good marketing ploy. :LOL:

As for not selling parts to the un-registered. Probably illegal but about bl icon_eek.gif dy time. Top marks for that at least.
rofl5.gif

rofl5.gif

rofl5.gif

Your posting above does not make sense!

Its also replying to a thread which is over a year old !

In any case what you have said in the second part is wrong! It is legal to fit parts to your OWN boiler at home IF you are competent to do so. ( But only IF and thats usually ACS qualified! )

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back