Am I heating our water right (inc. solar)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our new house has a rather complicated looking system in the airing cupboard, along with an ordinary condensing boiler in the utility room but it also has a Kingspan solar water heating system installed.

There doesn't seem to be much I can do with the SC400 solar control panel, except check the temperatures at different parts of the system. However, I was wondering what the different backlight colours mean. It's Orange 99% of the time, but I pressed something and it changed to red once, and I'm 99.99% sure I opened the door and saw it was green once, but I'm not sure. What do the colours mean?

Also, at the minute I have the boiler set to come on for 30mins every morning at 6am to provide enough hot water for showers. Sometimes it runs out, so I may need to increase this time... Is this the best/most efficient way to have the system set, or is it better to have it on automatic (where, I presume, it keeps the water in the tank above a certain temperature automatically)?

Sponsored Links
Yup, been through that (thanks though) but it doesn't mention anything about a green backlight (which I'm sure I've seen), or how the system actually works...

Sponsored Links
Ideally you want the hot water nearly exhausted when you leave the house for the day in the morning so the solar has chance to heat it up during the day.

You'll nead to read the manual for your particular solar system.

Generally the saving with solar hot water is minimal so it isn't anything but an ornament.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back