Glow worm solar heating question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glow-worm solar panel installation for heating hot water via two panels on the roof. I think the product brand is 'clearly solar'.

The system is 6or 7 years old and was installed in our house before we bought it last year

There is a pressurised boiler and a separate programmer.

I have the instruction booklet, which I don't find all that helpful, but here is what I'd like to achieve.

That I can set the desired HW temp to be say 50 deg, and that if there is 'solar gain' available, the system will alert a pump to cycle the HW via the roof panels to heat up, and it would do that independently of firing up the boiler to reach 50 deg. The boiler would only kick in IF it is within the hours specified only for the boiler to kick in.

Here's maybe a better more explicit description; I want to set the desired temp to 50 deg. From 8am to 8pm (aka all year round) if there is solar gain to be had then I went to make use of that first (I.e.in summer boiler heated HW may be avoided).
If however no solar gain is available, then the boiler should NOT kick in unless it is between my specified time just for the boiler, which is say 4pm-8pm. (I.e. in winter boiler heated HW will be kept to a few hrs).

The way it seems to work for me is that I can only state I want a boiler temp of 'x' and that the heating time range will get either solar gain to heat the water or if that is not available it will fire up the boiler. Not what I want if I am setting a time range of 8am-8pm, as it means the boiler would be topping up the HW temp all day.

I have a traditional looking HW and CH controller in the house but this does not seem to work for the HW. It seems to be overidden by the solar controller.

Hopefully I have explained this ok. Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
A timer just for the boiler would achieve the required result.

Other considerations:
50C is far too low - 65 would be more usual to prevent legionella bacteria growing in the hot water cylinder.
Unless the hot water cylinder is ancient and has no insulation, savings from not having the boiler on will be approximately zero.
Solar hot water will save you about £50 per year under favourable conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back