Am I mad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
^Woody^ has already advised on this, but I want to canvass for more opinions before I decide.

My contracter charged me £2k to fit a 3.5m span RSJ in my dining room, but he didn't use engineers calcs or get Building Control involved.

(This is the same contractor who told me removal of chimneys didnt need to conform to Building Regs, who charged me £7.5k to fit a new CH incompetently by an unqualified plumber, who fit a flat roof which leaks, who fit hot and cold taps the wrong way round etc).

We want to get it regularised by BC, but a Structural Engineer has calculated that it won't meet their standards. We'll need a bigger beam, padstones should be put in, piers to be enlarged etc.

Contractor has offered to return and do the work. (I'm not sure, but imagine he wants to offset the cost against what he thinks I still owe him). He says that this time he'll use different workers and if the BC are supervising him I have nothing to worry about.

Am I mad to take him? Will BC's presence ensure he does a decent job (espec if I tell them it was he who fit it in the first place)?

Sponsored Links
I think you were mad getting some cowboy in and not doing all the past work yourself! Or are you just yella?

You still owe him money? much money? I wouldnt pay him another penny until fully satisfied he can carry the work out but to be fair once bitten and all, its your money.

Sponsored Links
The immediate reaction is to tell him to priss of & not to let him anywhere near it; but LEGALLY you have to give him the opportunity to put things right. If you don’t, he could sue your asre for any money you may have (rightfully) withheld.

The way to do it is to ask him to detail, in writing, how he proposes to rectify the balls up he’s already made specifying the replacement materials he’s proposing to use, a reasonably detailed method statement as to how he proposes to carry out the work & how long it will take. Make it clear to him (in writing) that what he is proposes will be checked to see if acceptable, that he will be supervised & be responsible for his offer of remedial works with regards to specification & programme & if it fails to meet the required standards, you won’t pay him.

If he is the cowboy he seems to be, he will run a mile & you will be in the clear regarding keeping any outstanding cash you owe him & even pursuing him for any extra cash it costs you to put it right.

My contracter charged me £2k to fit a 3.5m span RSJ in my dining room, but he didn't use engineers calcs or get Building Control involved.
It is the responsibility of the homeowner to involve building control etc.
However a builder has a professional obligation to advise the customer as such.

As far as the law goes you either give the builder a shot at it or you may be stuffed.

I can understand your frustration but your naivety or ignorance of building regulations has cost you.

Back on topic. The OP raised all this last year, just using the forum for non DIY purposes.
Really, can you post some links :?: if it's a troll wre dealing with I would like to know :evil:

& don't be to hard on FMT ;)

Yes agree we all love Freddie.

Mr/Ms Nervous's post may be found with the search utility. I don't think he/she can be classed as a troll however.

I heard a rumor the other day that the C5 Cowboy Builders program was based on some of the threads on this forum. I think I recognised some of my own advice in one episode...

In fact the more I think about it, I wonder if Mr/Ms Nervous is in fact Melinda!! Come girl out with it, and get it off your chest!

I heard a rumor the other day that the C5 Cowboy Builders program was based on some of the threads on this forum. I think I recognised some of my own advice in one episode...
My you’re honored then;
bowdown.gif

Being totally paranoid, I love any conspiracy theory/plot. Maybe admin can do some research/throw some light on it :LOL: :---- unless they already know about & are being paid for it of course. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back