Am i ok to change the MCB for my shower....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive not long moved into a new house and the shower in the ensuite (Triton TS80i) every now and again trips after a few minutes.

After looking at previous posts it seems to be that my MCB is too small for the shower.

Am i right in saying that:
8.5kw > 36.9 amps = 40 amp MCB would be required??? It seems to be that there is only a 32a MCB fitted at present.

Am i ok to just change this though without knowing what size cables fitted to the shower?

If it makes any difference my consumer unit is relatively new as its a new build and the red breakers on the board are 100a and the RCD 80a.

I hope i have covered everything, hope someone can help :)

Sponsored Links
Am i ok to just change this though without knowing what size cables fitted to the shower?

No it is not. You should get someone who knows what they are doing to check the cable size and other issues throughout the whole cable route is sufficient to cater for the increased load. There may be a reason that the MCB is 32A.

Too much current thru a cable can cause a fire and you dont want to spend Xmas on a caravan site. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back