AM2?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody sat this recently? I had trouble with the lighting circuit and was looking for a little guidance.

Basically theres 3 light switches, 2 1G2W and an intermediate which is easy enough, however also in the circuit is a landlords over ride switch that needs to turn the light on and off.

The way I originally wired it all worked however the landlords switch didnt work and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Sponsored Links
You are not clear in what you are trying to do with this landlords switch

We are to assume that this switch has two positions, and that one of these positions is to be that the light is controlled by the 2x2w and intermediate arrangement, now is the other position to be on or off?

Or have you got some kind of switch with three positions, or two positions and off?

Hi Adam :)

Basically the 3 light switches are just a normal lighting circuit controlling one light, with an intermediate in the middle.

The landlords over ride needs to turn the light on permanently rendering the 3 lightswitches useless if you like since the landlords has put the light on permanently.

I originally wired the lighting as expected, with a feed to the switches and had all those working, I pulled in an extra feed from the light and used that as my switch wire for the landlords switch, and took a link from my permanent feed from one of the other switches.

But in looking at the test boards, they seemed to have some kind of connection linked off the intermediate, which lost me to be honest.

Two ways immediatly spring to mine, first one is I beleive what you did and is perhaps, a little easier to understand, second one is probably whats on the display board and perhaps a little easier to cable

landlordhc9.gif

Sponsored Links
Im planning on making my own little unit at the weekend just because I want to see it in action :)

Thanks for your help Adam! :)

Hi Kevinspark

Sounds like they've changed AM2 since last year!!

I had to do a 2 way in singles. Hope it went well, good idea to build your own rig, I often do it to refresh my mind

basically what you do is as follows. Only one of the two strappers are ever connected in at any one time, so where your landlords override switch is adjacent to the intermediate (as it is, it's a 2 gang grid switch) you take a cable from one strapper, through the key switch, and onto the other strapper. when the key switch is open the switches work normally, when it's closed there is a direct link between the 2 strappers so if one is connected they are both connected. Consequently you cannot turn the lights off. simple stuff really...

Thanks for all the advice guys. My AM2 resit is in just shy of a month now and im trying to make sure I can get all the areas covered so its not too costly again lol.

I think the only other thing Ill be going for some practice with will be some steel conduit. Ive paid for a little workshop day on the friday before I do it just to get to grips with the stuff Im not using so often.

Im going to throw the lighting circuit together at the weekend just to make sure I can get it working and then itll be steel conduit all the way lol

Any tips? lol.

Ill get the paperwork uploaded somewhere so maybe if anyones interested they can take a look through it, I know I wouldve liked to have maybe seen it before I did it.

Heres whats asked of you this year.

Its basically all fitted and your required to wire it, so the tray, and all the backboxes etc are fitted. Your required to do the pyro, SWA, Ring Main, Lighting Circuit, Motor, SRCD etc. Heres what it looks like

am22po8.jpg

If anyone wants any advice regarding it, feel free to pm me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back