screwfix 1g 1w light switches.... the unicorn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok just had a little buy up of new sockets, fuse switches and a light switch for the in progress kitchen, got from screwfix.

Now when I ordered them there is only one, 1way switch and I ordered without reading the jargon, my bad, because the switch he is a intermediate switch, which I only realised after ripping open the box, giving myself a paper cut and bleeding over the instructions, so I cant really return it. :oops:

So I just had a look online and in the catalouge and they do not seem to do a 1g 1w in the same or similar range (volex brushed steel, black insert) it is ether 1g2w or intermediate.

I know I cant use an intermediate but am I able to use a 1g2w as a regular 1g1w??

If not does anyone have any idea where I can buy one??

Thanks in advance.

Sarah :)

Sponsored Links
More to the point, why are you doing electrical installation work if you don't even understand something as basic as how each type of switch works?

i have changed switches before, but I thought the intermediate was to be used at a point between 2 other locations? So if you want the device to be controlled from more locations, you need to use what the Intermediate Switch. I DONT I have one switch in the kitchen, 1gang 1way.

That wasn't my question anyway, to be fair. I simply understand the basics, which is why I am asking for help, I have changed them before but now I am trying to have it match the other sockets I purchased. Its a straight swap

Sponsored Links
You can use an intermediate switch in place of a 1 gang, 1 way switch.

Just use a multimeter to work out which contacts to use or consult your bloodied instructions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back