Amdega restoration (painting over varnish)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently restoring an amdega wooden conservatory (possibly canadian cedar or redwood) which was, in its last life varnished. I am taking the time and trouble to sand down back to the bare wood to get the best results for a crisp clean painted finish.Is this absolutely necessary....? (someone said recently that you only need to get the sheen off the varnish) Also i am using a dulux flexi exterior undercoat (2 coats) but should i be using a primer first ? and what type of top coat paint will work best and lastly which type of woodfiller should be used to be compatible with those products ?

Sponsored Links
If you want it to last a long time better getting the varnish off. Then use Dulux weathershield trade system or if you want a decent cheapie then Wilko guarantee their exterior gloss for 6 years. An epoxy wood-filler is the best (two part).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back