Amiga 600 (or A600)

Sponsored Links
I was running Amicom, the unit will not work with a PC, so held onto my A1200 and A500 with hard drive intending to return to using Packet Radio, however just taking up loft space, so really time they are binned.

Not tried BayCom on modern PC, internet took over really. The A1200 had power out on serial port, PC didn't, but not even sure if my FT290 will still work, and last time I tried a CQ call seems only one other licensed guy in the area, so even if I did set it up to run BayCom no one to talk to.
Apparently, AmiCom can function on an emulated Amiga.
Although, considering the effort involved, the rewards may not be worth it!

Still not had chance to get her booted up. Had Covid and although I've been fine it was delivered to work and I've not been able to get it from courier. However I've come in today and got hold of it in all her yellow plastic glory! Will have a go with the RF/coax cable this evening (as that's all I've got for now).

In the meantime I got myself a null modem cable to send files over. I have an old Sony Vaio with a serial port, so can use that to send files over using Amiga Explorer on Windows 2000.

Still got my A1200 which I bought in 94 after saving for years doing a paper round. Never could get rid of it because I'd bought it with my own money.

Been meaning to get it back and up in service for about 10 years now, but so many projects going on it's pretty far down the list. Currently sitting in a cupboard in bits at the moment.

Have fun getting yours going (y)

Sponsored Links
AmiCom can function on an emulated Amiga.
1) AmiCom was the Amiga version of BayCom, most people used a TNC which was a computer in its self, the BayCom was a simple modem, far cheaper than full blown TNC, (terminal node controller) the version built for the Amiga could use the power from the Amiga, the version for PC needed an external power supply, other wise they were the same.
2) Packet radio is only any good when others are also using packet radio, most of the BBS's (bulletin boards) have now closed.
3) The rules on unattended radios changed, which means can't leave radio on so others can use it as a digipeater. So without the BBS's the whole system is dead.
4) Even with a 1200 baud rate it was slow, which was standard for VHF and UHF, with HF down to 300 baud rate, so talking to Australia I would say hello Jim and then make a cup of tea while waiting for reply.
5) In the early 90's when I used Packet the cost of email was high with any other mode, so talking to my son on Packet was so much cheaper than phone calls, even sent the odd picture using 7+, but today broad band has changed that.

Think likely I have 3 or 4 Amiga's, the CD version has gone, but A500+ and A1200's still around some where. But most the floppy discs have gone in the bin already, still loads on the hard drives, but can't see me ever using one again.

20211222_115437.jpg 20211222_115606.jpg 20211222_115513.jpg

I had the A500+, I use it not for games but to put titles on my videos back on the day, I needed a genlock as well if i remember right and from memory the genlock was expensive :)

Got her booted up. I mentioned in my first post it was sold as not tested, but it seems to be genuine as everything I’ve tried works. The mouse seems kaput, but may just need a clean.

I’ll wait for Santa to bring the CF card and get those games sent over.

Attachments

• BF986A64-9F63-41B5-9F6F-CD1573DADCDE.jpeg
    BF986A64-9F63-41B5-9F6F-CD1573DADCDE.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 96
Got her booted up. I mentioned in my first post it was sold as not tested, but it seems to be genuine as everything I’ve tried works. The mouse seems kaput, but may just need a clean.

I’ll wait for Santa to bring the CF card and get those games sent over.

Brilliant! Well done (y)
...and sorry, I meant to say earlier, I hope you and yours are ok/recovering well.

Last edited:
All good thanks, @RandomGrinch hope you enjoyed your Christmas.

RF cable turned out to be a coax cable, oops. By spreading the split pin in the middle of the plug I was able to make better contact with the socket on the Amiga but it was pretty poor. The image above was the best I could get. New cable ordered.

I've managed to find a few programs to get the games working. Most of the ones online seem to be ADF files, which I'm not able to mount on my machine as I have the slower 68000 processor. Instead I have to write to a floppy and then boot from that. I could upgrade to a different processor (think there are piggy-back units) but I don't think it's worth the work unless I was getting invested in this as a hobby. Plus OS 3.1 is fairly nice to use so I don't mind mucking about with different programs.

Sponsored Links
Back