Amps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have added a 13 ampfused spur to run power to an outside shed. How do you work out the amp being used as I do not want to overload it

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
How many people here really believe that the OP is genuinely competent enough to be doing this work?
Probably not many, but it sounds as if 'this work' is a fait accomplis. The question itself does not really relate to competence to do the work (which it seems has already been done), so I see no harm in it being answered.

Kind Regards, John

Can't really see how ohm's law will help. It is down to converting watts to amps not ohms and volts to amps.

A watt is defined as a joule pre second but as far as electrics go it's volts x amps x power factor correction the latter can be in the main ignored so divide watts by 230 and you get amps.

So 13A = 2990 watts or 3kW so add all items watts together and it needs to be less than 3kW if the fuse is not going to blow.

Can't really see how ohm's law will help. It is down to converting watts to amps not ohms and volts to amps.
Which is what the calculator does.

So 13A = 2990 watts or 3kW so add all items watts together and it needs to be less than 3kW if the fuse is not going to blow.
Damn does this mean I need a new fuse every time I boil the kettle ;)

Which is what the calculator does.
It does, indeed - but only because, despite being called an "Ohm's Law Calculator", it does calculations which are not just Ohm's Law. As eric said, Ohm's Law, in itself, does not help one with calculations involving power.

Kind Regards, John

It's not just you Simon.
It certainly isn't. It has always been my view that the valuable contributions that he is undoubtedly able to make (and sometimes does make) significantly outweigh the negative aspects of his activities in the forum. However, I have to confess that in recent days I have started to seriously reconsider my view about whether, on balance, his presence is beneficial or harmful to the forum.

Kind Regards, John

Why, are you two getting old, grumpy and intolerant, too? ;)
I'll admit to old and (sometimes) grumpy, but I think that I am generally very tolerant. I don't personally care about his antics but, for whatever reason, I do feel some concern for the wellbeing of the forum, and its value to its intended target population - hence my recent reconsideration of his 'cost/benefit ratio'.

Kind Regards, John

Concur with both what securespark and John have written; B-A-S is undoubtedly extremely knowledgeable and when he decides to help then he's an asset to the forum.

But, as I've posted a few times in the past (in threads where a lot of these kinds of discussions tend to get modded out, probably rightly so) often he exhibits troll-like behaviour and comes on only to prove to people how deficient their knowledge is.
But, it's a DIY forum. And sometimes people will take advice and apply it correctly. Other times, it's clear that some people are just going to go ahead regardless and you'd hope that at least some of the advice will stick.

I wonder how many people that B-A-S berates actually go "oh! you're right! I'll stop now!". Some do, and we had an example of that tonight, but most don't.

What I find most tedious is B-A-S continuing to make the same statement over and over and over again in the same thread, which is classic troll behaviour - to continue to repeat your position in the (mistaken) belief that you will alter other people's opinion.

It's a shame - in all the "Thanks" I've added to posts, many of them have been for B-A-S's posts and, when he removes the stick from his butt, he's actually got a good sense of humour.
It would be nice if he could balance that with a good sense of perspective.

The more I read what you are writing recently, the less I believe that you are here to help in a DIY forum.
I'm sorry you do not regard it as helpful to advise people who do not have a ******* clue to not fiddle with electrics until they do, but do regard it as helpful to encourage them to continue with their ignorant bumblings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back