AMTICO FITTER PROBLEMS. Tearing my hair out!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On September 10th I had some amtico fitted in my downstairs bathroom. I had 1 sq m left over of glittery marcasite tiles from my previous house, so the flooring fitter agreed to order another m sq of the same tile to do our bathroom using old and new. When the new tiles came they were quite different in colour so we agreed to alternate them, chess-board style.
The fitter was there for about 2.5 hours (It's a small cloakroom).
But when he left we found that he hadn't put silicone around the base of the sink unit, and where he'd put it round the shower tray it was thick and blobby. There was also silicone & glue over the tiles, and a 1cm gap between the tiles behind the sink and the sink unit where he'd cut them badly.
We called him back.
He re-did the silicone, and re-cut a new tile to go beside the sink unit.
Then we noticed a tile around the radiator was coming unstuck, and one of the tiles by the sink wasn't stuck either.
We called him back.
Then we noticed a tile beside the toilet was lifting, so we called him back.
Then we noticed our toilet was completely wonky where he'd raised the pan to lay the flooring then not put it back properly. Again, we called him back.
He tried to set the toilet straight but we think he has wedged something under the pan because the tile beside it is now raised and lumpy, but not only that: he has glued the screws to the toilet pan so we can't now undo them.
All this happened in the space of a week, while the owner of the flooring company was on holiday.
This was 6 weeks ago & he has been unresponsive to my emails until yesterday, when he finally agreed to get someone in to remove the whole floor. We haven't paid a penny yet. I want to get someone else in, a completely different company, to re-do it from scratch. It will cost us more, because we can't now use the tiles we had left over from my old house, but we accept that. But do I have the right to refuse to pay a penny for the flooring we want removed & their labour, and can I bill the company for the plumber I'm going to have to call out to fix the toilet??
This is further complicated by the fact that the owner of the flooring company is a family friend...

Sponsored Links
If you want to keep him as a family friend then I would think discussing it with him on a friendly basis should be the first step …….

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back