Advice re visible trowel marks under Amtico

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some advice re Amtico flooring we have had laid in a new build house from experienced Amtico fitters. Basically I can see visible trowel marks and other imperfections in the finished flooring. Whilst the flooring company have accepted some of the more obvious areas and are working through a plan to remedy it, they are telling me that my expections of Amtico as a vinyl flooring are too high and that these undulations are acceptable. There are several agreed spots where it is not right which reduces my confidence that the job as a whole was up to standard. To me, the fitting is not of a great standard and before purchasing it was sold to me that the rigorous screed/preparation process was so vital to ensure a flawless finish. I need to know before I pursue it further, are my expectations too high? Is it unreasonable of me to be disappointed in a floor with visible imperfections? I must point out that they can't necessarily be felt with the hand. Thanks for any advice offered.

Sponsored Links
I have exactly the same thing in a new build Barratt house. The fitter doesn't know why this is so will ask his boss if he can take up a couple of tiles to see if the problem can be seen. I'm thinking it's the concrete underneath. This flooring is too expensive to live with the 'waves' all across the floor.

How long ago was it laid? Can you not just reject the whole job?

About 8 months I guess. Fitted for us before we moved in. Think the wear he brought out the 'waves'.

Sponsored Links
We bought ours 3 months ago. I ended up speaking to Amtico and then I've paid for an independent consultant to come out and review the floor as I felt I was not getting an honest answer from the flooring company or builder. The consultant has said there are parts of our floor that are outwith the levels required to meet British standards when laying Amtico. We already knew one area where the concrete was outside of tolerance but elsewhere it seems the preparation process hasn't been great and it's been an overall sloppy job. I'm awaiting his report to send on to the flooring company and builder.

We bought ours 3 months ago. I ended up speaking to Amtico and then I've paid for an independent consultant to come out and review the floor as I felt I was not getting an honest answer from the flooring company or builder. The consultant has said there are parts of our floor that are outwith the levels required to meet British standards when laying Amtico. We already knew one area where the concrete was outside of tolerance but elsewhere it seems the preparation process hasn't been great and it's been an overall sloppy job. I'm awaiting his report to send on to the flooring company and builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back