Under floor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Would appreciate some advice

I am havng my concrete kitchen floor levelled + would then like to have some sort of under floor heating before I lay amtico or karndean.

I have spoke to a company and they recommend the mat system.

Do I still level my floor first, then lay the mats, then cover with a latex protector or do I bury my mats inside the scree/ leveller ?

Can I still have the matting system if I don't use the insualting boards as recommended. If I do use the boards, it'll raise my kitchen floor too high. Is it effective without the insualting boards or should I just not have it done ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your insulating boards mean greater efficency from your underfloor heating. 10mm marmox, ducker boards etc will be fine and only raise the floor height by 10/12mm including adhesive.
Your door frames can be cut to accomodate and a door profile used for any height difference in doorways.
3mm cables should be buried in 5mm screed.

Your heating won't work without insulation boards !!

@mac

but 10 mm gives a pretty pathetic level of insulation + major heat-loss. Would you not agree ?

Now then Mointainwalker, if you came at me with useful information such as the difference between "no insulation" and "10mm marmox insulation" regarding warm up times, thermal values, energy saving costs and height restrictions,, my answer to your question would be NO !!

As regards a "pathetic level of insulation" it's still NO!!

Read up man.... http://www.marmox.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
as long as you realise its a lifestyle choice
electric underfloor heating at best cost a bit more to run over normal gas central heating and at worst a hell off a lot more
obviously gas underfloor is less wasteful

if you are used to a quick 1 hour burst in the morning and a quick 90 mins in the evening then underfloor is very ineficiant as its designed for fairly continuous use

if this is an economy measure over gas central heating forget it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back