An interesting read

Sponsored Links
:eek: thats weird!

I remembered seeing them all. I phisically went and opened the cu there and yes, there all there! wtf is up with that photo :?: :eek: :?: :eek:

the only thing I can think of is that the IQA guy resleeved them all, so I think there possibly all behind the bunch of neutrals in this pic??

But yeah, weird.... There deffinately there, I checked, honest! lol

IQA came out this morning, and had a hunch that the RCD, although testing OK, may have been mechanically damaged due to the amount of times it has been tripping.....
So, the pictures should speak for themselves, but two hours later, new split RCD board installed and NO TRIPPING!!!!! and I mean no tripping, not even any nuisance trips caused by any pre-existing problems that were unknown.
I'm totally lost. I thought was that, quite apart from your 'local' issue of RCD tripping, the ongoing problem was very substantial currents flowing in the earthing conductors of yours and many other properties. Upgrading your CU and thereby replacing a (possibly) damaged RCD will surely not have made any difference to that. It may have cured your immediate problems (RCD tripping) but I would have thought it left the other, potentially worrying and dangerous, issue still there for you and your neighbours.

Kind Regards, John.

I fully agree with you. Yes it has stopped our immediate problems but in SP's opinion our "reported problem" (tripping/upstream tripping) is away so there is no need for further work.

There phoning back on Fri to check how it's going, I'm definately bringing this up though, especially due to it being confirmed it's not just this property.

PS - they didn't put a new CU in next door, just changed rewireables for plug in mcb's

Sponsored Links
I fully agree with you. Yes it has stopped our immediate problems but in SP's opinion our "reported problem" (tripping/upstream tripping) is away so there is no need for further work.
Good grief. All these alleged currents (in some cases several amps) flowing in earthing conductors is 'not right', and a sign of something unknown but potentially dangerous - at least, that's how it sounds to me!

Kind Regards,John.

Precisely, I think tbh, Scottish Power just wanted us to get off their backs hence the new CU, but if the problem is still there I will persist until it is sorted as it is a safety issue.

Can you think of a reason why the new CU has stopped the tripping (could the RCD have been 'mechanically damaged')

also, the loop impedence was at 0.2 today? a big change from the other day!

Also, notice the PME sticker now, hopefully that should keep engineers from wondering what system is in use!

Thanks again, I appreciate it

Yes it strikes me as an attempt to stop the effects without solving the problem, which is not a good way to operate a system

Precisely, I think tbh, Scottish Power just wanted us to get off their backs hence the new CU, but if the problem is still there I will persist until it is sorted as it is a safety issue.
I certainly think you should.

Can you think of a reason why the new CU has stopped the tripping (could the RCD have been 'mechanically damaged')
RCDs can become faulty for all sorts of reasons but, as I said, I can think of no sensible way that this could result in high currents flowing in the earthing conductor of your installation, let alone those of other properties! If it was so mechanically damaged that there were several amps flowing through the RCD's insulation to the earthed case of the CU, I would have expected there to be smoke and smell (if not flames) around to evidence that!

Kind Regards, John.

I must say though, after being put to a personal case coordinator in the last few days, the customer service we have been receiving has drastically improved. I mean to the point of the co-ordinator personally phoning a few times a day just for a progress check and to make sure we were happy, and us having direct dial numbers.

Also, any minor issues (like part of our path still to be re-tarred, and red chips not delivered) were sorted out in a matter of an hour. I just think it's a shame that you have to get this frustrated and exasperated before this level of customer service is given - this should be the norm.

DNOs are coming under more and more pressure from the regulator to improve customer service. They/we will do pretty much anything to keep the customer happy and resolve the issue to their satisfaction.

The huge fear is escalation to the regulator or the ombudsman!

Yes I couldn't understand it either, this current was just showing on a clamp meter, dno fuse out, clamped around the Earth wire after the meter.

we even got this current to increase to 9 amps by turning on just about everything we could. (interestingly this also bumped our neighbours reading up by 2.5A - and to be clear this was the other neighbour, not our 'semi-attached' (there's a new word!) neighbour!)

SP said this is definitely the strangest case they have ever dealt with!

edit: grammar. I would not be able to sleep tonight for missing out a bracket!

"The huge fear is escalation to the regulator or the ombudsman!"

Oh yeah, come to think of it, OFGEM maybe did casually slip into the conversation last week - whoops! silly me!

:LOL: :evil:

Yes I couldn't understand it either, this current was just showing on a clamp meter, dno fuse out, clamped around the Earth wire after the meter. we even got this current to increase to 9 amps by turning on just about everything we could. (interestingly this also bumped our neighbours reading up by 2.5A - and to be clear this was the other neighbour, not our 'semi-attached' (there's a new word!) neighbour! SP said this is definitely the strangest case they have ever dealt with!
I remain seriously confused. If this current is flowing when the DNO fuse in your installation is removed, I can but presume that it must be flowing between the incoming neutral and your main bonding (i.e. to incoming water pipe etc.) - I can't think of any other path available. .. and if the DNO fuse is removed, I'm not sure why 'turning things on' is making any difference. Am I missing something?

Kind Regards, John.

yeah, the singles are the bonding etc.

If you look really closely through the black neutrals, you can make out bits of green/yellow, but very well hidden

They were much shorter than the rest due to the position of the Earth bar in relation to the entry point in the old CU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back