An odd little challenge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evenin' all.

I'm in a samba regae drumming band, and when all costumed up, i look like this:
//media.diynot.com/178000_177042_39297_66025921_thumb.jpg

What i want help with is the best way to go about fixing a water bottle holder such as this:
//media.diynot.com/178000_177042_39296_31384975_thumb.jpg

To the vertical threaded rod i've labeled in the pic of the drum.

I'm got about 50 drums to do, so it needs to be cheap, it should be able to stay high up on the rod, so it'll need some nuts in there, but i'll need to be able to take the bottle holder off without dismantling the whole drum

Does anything like this exist?
//media.diynot.com/178000_177042_39298_81691963_thumb.jpg

If you can imagine the red bit is threaded so it's like a joint connector nut but with a thickish washer on the end. The drum rod passes through the white hole and held in place with two nuts.

I'd welcome any and all suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Is that rod threaded all the way, or just a few inches top and bottom?

Sponsored Links
could a female tee be screwed onto the rod with a lock nut under to keep it in position, then either bent rod or a fitting screwed into the branch of the tee to hold the bottle holder in some way, ok its a start!!!!!!!!

i have had a look at BES catalogue, check out part number 6391 in 3/8" would that be suitable? could you change the rod to 3/8" then screw a small piece of rod in with a flat plate from a pipe clip to hold the bottle holder to the rod

rethinking the device that you drew (with red threaded hole), why not consider using an offset hole to bolt the water bottle to, then you could use one of these common cleats
pvc-cable-cleats~3417.jpg

just find the type with a 10mm large hole, to put around the drums threaded rod. and bolt the water bottle holder through the hole usually reserved for fixing to the wall (drill it out if needed). once tightened it will grip the thread tightly being made of polyethylene, will match the colour of your holders, and wont require taking the drum apart at all.

the cleats are used for attaching armoured cable to walls, and should be easily got from electrical suppliers in bags of 50.
this is where i got the image from: http://www.pewelectrical.com/wiring...sories/cable-accessories/pvc-cable-cleats.htm

M10 nut welded to a large penny washer should do the trick. If the hole in the penny washer is too small just drill it.

kirkgas's T junctions look promising.

If i could solder or glue the right size nut inside the junction i could just bolt the bottle holder in place with the fixings that come with it.

I've tried a few things with cable ties and clips, but the once there's a full bottle of drink in there and the drum starts to jiggle about, whole thing just slides down the rod and completely out of reach.

kirkgas's T junctions look promising.

If i could solder or glue the right size nut inside the junction i could just bolt the bottle holder in place with the fixings that come with it.

I've tried a few things with cable ties and clips, but the once there's a full bottle of drink in there and the drum starts to jiggle about, whole thing just slides down the rod and completely out of reach.

if the tee is screwed onto the rod then the rod fitted on the drum it cant slide down as the tee wont rotate one full revolution as it will hit the drum, c'mon get it built, its about time i had a good idea :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back