anchor bolts on clunch?

M

munchingB

i need to fix a wall plate to a clunch wall so i can support the roof for an open porch i want to build. ive just used some through bolts for a lean to pergola on the back of the house which is soft red brick and they are nice and firm but i dont know if they will hold in chalk or lime mortar for the porch. the roof will be supported by 2 posts at the front so the clunch wall wont be holding the full weight of a roof.

any ideas? resin or cement areas to be drilled into? me-dunno : /

cheers peeps

Sponsored Links
i dont know if they will hold in chalk or lime mortar for the porch.
Why do they need to go into the mortar, is there no masonry?

Thunder bolts or sleeve anchors will suffice.

Is this a pitched roof? And I presume you are talking about the high end pitching plate where the rafter tops will be, yes?

the masonary in the wall are lumps of chalk and the mortar, on the surface, occupies nearly as much area as the chalk so im guessing some of the bolts might end up clinging on to the lime...unless completely avoidable.

just wondered if the area needed prepping with something more substantial to give a better base to be bolting into?

i"ll give it a go with the sleeve anchors cheers

Sponsored Links
Never worked with Clunch, but worked a fair bit with Bungaroosh which is similar.
To get a decent fix we often had to remove some of the wall and built the holes back with brickwork and allow it to harden.

it'll have small joists and rafters yes so will be two wall plates as such. seriously dont fancy bricking a line to hold the anchors..

I assume you have rafters and joists forming a triangle. If so you have no problem with spread so can you fix the plate to the timber posts at the front and possibly bracket to the wall at the back.

I assume you have rafters and joists forming a triangle.
The o.p. states an 'open porch' so i guess the joists will be missing, as this was part of my reasoning also.

I suppose he could bridge the walls directly below the pitching plate with say an 8" x 2" then prop the pitching plate off this. If he were to also go a bit mad on bent straps for the wall plate then he will gain valuable restraint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back