Anchor bolts to fix wooden frame to plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am building a wooden frame which I plan to fix to drywall with anchor bolts. There is the brick wall with a gap of 70mm to the front of the plasterboard and the batons will go on top. The plasterboard is fixed to the brick with small pieces of wood.
Would this be a satisfactory way to fix the frame or will the plasterboard be insufficient because of the gap?
The frame will hold 12mm MDF and a TV bracket (and 40" LCD).

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Neil

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't risk fixing a load such as that on to plasterboard. Why not do it properly and cut a couple of slots in the plasterboard wide enough (say 3") to fix timber battens firmly to the brickwork, and then fix your mdf/tv to that.

Thanks for the reply.

I need the frame to protrude beyond the level of the plasterboard as the MDF will be a floating wall. So I should cut the plasterboard out and install wood directly to the brick which is level or protrudes and then either fix the frame or mdf to this.
I want to double check before I destroy the plasterboard :)

If the distance between the brickwork face and the room face of the plasterboard is 70mm, a 3" thick piece of timber should just about bring you flush with the wall surface. A couple of 3" x 3" pieces of timber (of the length you need for your frame) should be OK if fixed to the wall with 4" screws.Your slots would be 3" wide by whatver length you need. (countersink the holes in the battens by about 1" to give at least 2" screw penetration into the wall).
That should be sufficient to hold your frame/mdf/tv.

Sponsored Links
I think i would be looking at making sure the header and sole plate are securely fixed.

If the uprights are then fitted snug with decent skewed fixings, your side fixings then become a bonus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back