Ancient WarmWorld boiler leaking from the bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have an old WarmWorld condensing boiler (model HE30/40 I think) - here is the manual for it:

http://www.warmworld.co.uk/sitedocs/boiler_man_1.pdf

We have a big water tank in the loft, a water thing in the cupboard upstairs, and in the kitchen is our boiler.

The boiler broke once before and the guy that fixed it said it was badly corroded inside and was VERY old but it was repaired. It's worked without issue for the last 2-3 years.

Recently, it's started to leak - it has done this before. At the bottom, of the unit towards the back there is a slow drip of water. It's not a lot, and after a little while a very small pool of water has formed on the work top. It was that minor that I didn't notice it initially and just thought it was water from the sink which had not been cleared up.

A few things:

1) How serious is a leak like this? Is it common, is it likely to be one well known fault with boilers like this?

2) Money is tight, I didn't want to replace the boiler as we'd like to move in the new year, so don't want to spend money replacing it. I've read that it's cheaper to keep my system set up the way it is (with water tank) and just replace the boiler itself. Is that true? Any advice with this?

Christmas is coming up and I'm really concerned that it breaks around that period, leaving me and my partner freezing cold. So I will probably arrange for the plumbing company we used before (expensive but good) to come and try to look at the boiler.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Impossible to say how serious the leak it without being there to see it. It could be a failed washer (easy cheap fix) or it could be a failed heat exchanger (new boiler time).

You can certainly just replace the boiler without replacing everything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back