Help diagnose boiler issue - sounds like a minor problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a WarmWorld boiler - the PDF manual is here:

http://www.warmworld.co.uk/sitedocs/boiler_man_1.pdf

The boiler I think broke yesterday or the day before. I basically didn't notice as to look at and listen to it sounds perfect, there is just no heating and no water.

The water and heating are both switched on manually, and the termostat is set to about 20 degrees - so is switched on.

The boiler is a CONDENSING boiler. Gas is lit inside, pilot light on and it sounds absolutely fine. I just don't know what's wrong with it.

I have a feeling it may just need water as it has over the past year had some come out in very small amounts.

EDIT - I think it may be low on pressure. However there is no pressure gauage and I have no idea how to re-pressurise it. I've looked up how online but they seem to be completely different boilers to mine.

Any ideas? Pictures of boiler below.

Sponsored Links
That is a sealed combustion cover which a DIYer should not remove.

Where is the condensate drain pipe?

Thanks for your help.

I think that may be underneath the boiler, just sticking out a little at the bottom.

If that's what you mean.

Ok, I can't see any pipes like in the videos I've watched. All the copper pipping is elsewhere. One pipe leads underneath the work counter tops and there are obviously some under the sink but none have any connections or filling loop looking things.

Sponsored Links
Further to the last - I don't think it is the pressure. I rang a plumber who was quite nice and went through some things with me.

He said that if the flame comes on and stays on and it runs then it's not the pressure.

Unfortunately all the plumbers are off work until wednesday.

I am available for anyone with a problem but not in your area.

Most would come today!

Few would want to repair such an old boiler although being so simple the fault will be easy to identify.

Tony

I've had a plumber out who had a look. He didn't seem entirely sure but said it could be the Burner. This I've looked up and costs £46 for that part.

After he left he texted me and said it could also be the Gas Valve so to consider both of them.

Unfortunately he wasn't able to assist in fixing it.

Do you think the symptoms I've described mean it could be the burner or the gas valve, which is more likely?

I don't want to pay someone to fit the new part if I can do it. I know which part he means and I can get to it easily I think.

Can you actually see that the pilot is alight ?

Yes...

Firstly through the hole in the metal casing, and secondly the plumber took the metal thing off so that the flame was exposed and when turned on the flame lit and stayed lit with no issue.

This boiler has electronic ignition so either the gas valve is letting by or does it go out when you turn the boiler off ?

This boiler has electronic ignition so either the gas valve is letting by or does it go out when you turn the boiler off ?

If I turn the boiler off the flame stops and everything shuts down.

This includes when the boiler is on, but the temperature gauge thing on the front of it is turned down to 1 or 2. If it's turned up, the boiler clicks twice to light the flame and it comes back on.

Do you think the symptoms I've described mean it could be the burner or the gas valve, which is more likely?

I don't want to pay someone to fit the new part if I can do it.

you shouldn't be changing either of these parts if indeed thats what it is, you don't need a plumber you need a RGI who knows what he is doing

I don't want to pay someone to fit the new part if I can do it.

you shouldn't be changing either of these parts if indeed thats what it is, you don't need a plumber you need a RGI who knows what he is doing

I'm really frustrated about all this now.

I've phoned two companies who say they don't deal with my type of boiler (A warm world one).

I've had a plumber out (via a friend) who couldn't really positively identify the issue and said he can't do the job as he couldn't sign it off (not sure what that means). He then said something about maybe considering a new boiler but it is expensive - why a new boiler?!

I phoned another plumber who had a gas engineer who was off sick.

All the others don't seem to answer.

CBF is there a website for finding a RGI? I was using http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk before.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back