Saunier duval boiler does not fire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a typical problem with my boiler. As the boiler was making noise, I flushed the system and put the pressure back to 2 bars.For quite a long time the pilot does not lit on its own then I manually lit the pilot. The system rolls water as usual, it makes usual gussling sound, but the combustion chamber does not fire, only I can see the pilot is lit.No hot water. Please can anybody help in this matter? :cry:

Regards

Ganesh

Sponsored Links
Ganesh - you have given FA useful info

There are a number of SD boilers as there are Ford cars

... and you need to say at exactly what point it's failing

raden-Thanks for the reply.

Firstly first admit-I am totally new to Boilers. This odd hour necessity bought me here, hoping to get some help from learned people like you.

The boiler was working fine previously. As, it was making noise since quite a long time ,I tried to bleed all radiators. shut down the boiler and opened the outlet valve till I saw the pressure bar flatning to '0'. Then I pressured it back from the loop till I saw the pointer standing @2(which is what it usually used to be). I turned back the system, but regret there is no gas fired in the combusion chamber, but after enough time switching on and off, finally pilot is lit and is contunious, but not the chamber, hence no hot water.
What could be the reason for gas not getting released from the gas valve?

Did you have egg hoppers for breakfast?

You have still not given us the model number of your boiler.

It sounds as if the boiler has stopped working because you allowed the pressure to drop to zero.

The pump may have seized. Although my trainee did not realise its possible to remove a cap and spin the pump from the front of the boiler to see if its free to move.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry, But I have mentioned in my earlier reply the model number which is Saunied Duval Thelia 623. Apart from this should I see any more information on the boiler?

The pump seems to be working, the fan spins well, but no gas flow to burners. Pilot is lit manually, which means no spark to ignite on its own.Any thing to do with the timer. I have disconnected timer cable from the pcb. so its in manual operation I assume.

Hi All

I have opted to call in Corgi reg engineer.He walked in looked just for a moment, pulled out the pipe leading to air flow switch, blocked the opening with his thumb, here it goes...the burners fires, and when the thumb is removed from the pipe opening, the fire at the burners is turned off.

He has taken the air flow switch along with him to be replaced with a new one by tomorrow morning.Till then fingers crossed.

Thanks to all of you for the support.

Regards

Ganesh

The pump may have seized. Although my trainee did not realise its possible to remove a cap and spin the pump from the front of the boiler to see if its free to move.

If that apprentice has been with you more than a month...sack him!

David

Agile said:
Although my trainee did not realise its possible to remove a cap and spin the pump from the front of the boiler to see if its free to move.

Tony

Pesky trainees.....learn, learn, learn it's all they ever think about :rolleyes:

What about the egg hoppers?

When the boiler does not work when he fits the new pressure switch, tell him that "Tony" says that the old one was OK and that he only needed to clean the dirt away from the venturi !!!

Tony

I hate Sonya Duvals !

I once met one of their salesmen, he said he liked a chalenge and he had actually sold one during the previous month!

The trainee cannot be blamed because I never take him to S-Ds

Its a niche market!

Hardly anyone will touch them!

So Tony do you suggest, the air pressure switch does not need to be replaced with a new one, but needs to be cleaned?

Does that meen the corgi guy is coning me :evil:

On that model the first thing to check is the venturi, they need cleaning every 2-3 years.

If yours has never been properly serviced by someone familiar with the model then it stops the boiler from working. The first reaction from a simple engineer is to blow into the APS and if this starts the boiler he changes the APS.

If you apply a very small amount of logic, you would decide that blowing into it proves that it is working and would look elsewhere!

Wait until he comes and see if the new APS makes it work! It might do but I still expect the underlying fault is a dirty venturi. I have cleaned many venturis but never ever needed to change an APS on an S-D.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back