Saunier duval boiler does not fire.

And what do you do when you are called back every day for the next month because each "O" ring in turn leaks in turn on a daily basis.

I will confess I did once change BOTH blocks on one that was badly leaking when it was only two years old. Amazingly it has not started leaking yet as far as I know.

That was an exception as I could not really professionally justify replacing a boiler less than three years old wne the replacement parts were not a lot over £100. It took a good 2­­­¼ hours though, partly because the leaking has seized up one of the screws underneath.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I don't get called back!

On initial inspection I highlight any potential problems to the owner.

Changing the arch does not involve disturbing any of the primary water side. Be scrupulous in cleaning O ring grooves etc. Better to take another 10 minutes cleaning than to risk a callback.

Since I have forwarned the customer they understand any future callback should the need arise (rare) is fully chargeable.

Looks like handling the diverter valve is definetly not an easy task.I am seriously making note of the issues being discussed by learned people in this forum.Please post as much as you know on this issue.

For the last few days I noticed there is a minute drop of water accumulating just at the rear of the pressure guage dial(some where inbetween the pump, summer/winter liver) , and eventually dripping a drop at a time. Looks like this is to do with the diverter.

"""Since I have forwarned the customer they understand any future callback should the need arise (rare) is fully chargeable"""

I dont think I would ever get away with that. Once we have repaired a boiler they certainly dont expect it to leak within the next year.

S-Ds often leak the next day!

Another problem, when we see the diverter is not responding to DHW demand we usually find the boiler is already leaking at at least four places!

Tony

Sponsored Links
As long as the customer knows they can decide what to do. Some boilers eg Ocean Sytle FF's I don't touch - I used to refer them to another company (but they only offered a 3 month warranty against leakage!)

The leak near the pressure gauge is normally the tiny capillary tube off the back of the gauge. Remove gauge clean out the hole in the plastic diverter section, use wire wool to clean the capillary and regrease O ring.

Leak fixed.

Thats only one of the "normal" places for the S-Ds to leak!

I would not touch an Ocean FF if its the sec HE or the diverter but I will do electronic or combustion faults. Their diverter seem to have been designed by an S-D man with a grudge! They are getting a bit long in the tooth though.

Tony

The leak behind the pressure gauge is normally the capillary pipe.

Remove the pressure gauge. Clean out the hole in the plastic diverter section. Use wire wool to clean the capillary line on back of the gauge. Silicone grease the O ring and refit. Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back