And its only just starting

...yes, thank you, I had a quick look.

apparently:
The world produces enough food to feed everyone. World agriculture produces 17 percent more calories per person today than it did 30 years ago, despite a 70 percent population increase. This is enough to provide everyone in the world with at least 2,720 kilocalories (kcal) per person per day according to the most recent estimate that we could find.(FAO 2002, p.9). The principal problem is that many people in the world do not have sufficient land to grow, or income to purchase, enough food.

What a strange world we 'humans' live in....

Sponsored Links
Good points there. Susie.
Another factor that I've read recently, can't remember where, if I find it I'll provide a link, about the use of water in agriculture being so unjust.
The article that I read was about the amount of water used to grow produce, in countries which experience dificulty with water (water stress), which was then transported to westen countries that do not have such water difficulties.

That's a bit of a mouthfull, hopefully it's comprehensible.

Another influence on education and contraception is of course the stability of the country and the government.

An equally valid comment about the stability of the country/government is how that influences food production, thus the country's ability to feed it's people, as C155 indicated in his comment on Zimbabwe.

Sponsored Links
A bit of contraception wouldn't go amiss :rolleyes:

A typical suggestion from one who has never experienced, or possibly even witnessed, real poverty.

If you have the local equivalent of 10p and you're starving, your kids are starving, do you spend that money on a bread, rice, water, etc? Or would you do as you suggest and spend it on contraception, assuming there is any on sale locally?

So what you're saying is we keep feeding them and they WILL keep breeding as they have since the year dot & they know they can rely on us to feed them.

What if our crops should fail, it will be difficult enough to feed ourselves let alone the other 7billion & rising, then they have to find somewhere to live so they cut down more rainforest to turn into arable land, tell me what will become of the endangered spieces, or maybe they could all come & live in the UK, we could find a bit of suitable land to build a few more houses, we have our own problems like the baby boomers we'll sort it let them sort their own population explosion problem or let nature look after it.

A typical suggestion from one who has never experienced, or possibly even witnessed, real poverty.

If you have the local equivalent of 10p and you're starving, your kids are starving, do you spend that money on a bread, rice, water, etc? Or would you do as you suggest and spend it on contraception, assuming there is any on sale locally?

So what you're saying is we keep feeding them ........

Your powers of perception are amazing. I couldn't find any reference to who feeds who, in my comment, apart from a parent struggling to feed their child/children.

So what you're saying is we keep feeding them and they WILL keep breeding as they have since the year dot & they know they can rely on us to feed them.

What if our crops should fail, it will be difficult enough to feed ourselves let alone the other 7billion & rising, then they have to find somewhere to live so they cut down more rainforest to turn into arable land, tell me what will become of the endangered spieces, or maybe they could all come & live in the UK, we could find a bit of suitable land to build a few more houses, we have our own problems like the baby boomers we'll sort it let them sort their own population explosion problem or let nature look after it.

I often wonder if some posters on here realise that their comments are available for all the public to read, the world over, as many times as they wish.
I do hope that other people, reading these comments, don't credit us all with the same amount of intelligence that is displayed by some.

pred";p="2255449 said:

I don't think pred that anyone is advocating that at all...they do not in fact 'rely on us to feed them' they live in extremely harsh conditions and are in fact starving to death.
They are still people....and they still have feelings just like every single one of us...they feel pain, sorrow and sadness just like everyone else..so in that respect I feel that they cannot just be disregarded and left to 'get on with it'
However I do agree that just throwing money at the situation is not the answer and I hope that those who are able to do so will in time be able to offer a better solution to the problem.
I am not sure if you have children pred ...but if you do, maybe think for a moment of your own child and imagine the horror of seeing that child starve to death...they are after all just like you....we are all the same we are all just human beings.

....., maybe think for a moment of your own child and imagine the horror of seeing that child starve to death...they are after all just like you....we are all the same we are all just human beings.
The same applies when it's your siblings, parents, grandparents dying from easily curable disease, but for lack of appropriate treatment, or even out-of-date medicine.

.they do not in fact 'rely on us to feed them' they live in extremely harsh conditions and are in fact starving to death.

How many times do you see on telly and hear of the women or children having to walk many miles a day to fetch drinking water,would it not be easier to move to where the water source is.Is that too easy or am I missing something.Back in the sixties there were images of war and starvation from a place called Biafra now part of Nigeria again,so whats altered? How many times since have we seen these images of similar conflicts.How many times are we called upon by the emotional police to contribute.

How many times do you see on telly and hear of the women or children having to walk many miles a day to fetch drinking water,would it not be easier to move to where the water source is.

Like, set up home on the flood plain. :rolleyes:

Anyway, isn't that hijacking the thread, talking about rugby? ;)

Sponsored Links
Back