Andre Rieu Concert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure about admitting to this but here goes. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I have just managed to get 2 of the last few tickets available for a concert in Maastricht Holland in July next year.
However I need some advice, and as I am too embarrassed to admit to my friends that I am going to a concert of the above, I thought that I could probably get the info off the all knowing well travelled members on this forum.
The question is this, I am contemplating driving there, staying 4 or 5 days and visiting the surrounding cities, Brussels, Amsterdam etc.
I live in Lancs and thought that the best way was via the euro tunnel , stay overnight in Brussels, then on to Maastricht for the concert and then a leisurely drive back via Amsterdam or some other route .
As anybody experienced this type of travel in this neck of the woods and if so what are the pitfalls and has anyone any good advice?
Just realised, forgot to mention I am going with my wife, now that would have been weird if I was going on my own. :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
:evil: only a little bit jealous :evil: , tell ya what leave the mrs at home and i'll go with you, you can pick me up on the way through and we'll both muddle our way through when we get over there :D

A great idea, hopping on and off the eurotunnel shuttle is an absolute breeze. The only thing I'd warn you about is the parking in those great but car unfriendly cities but if you are confident in getting around these places where they all drive on the wrong side of the road then I'd go for it.

Sounds like it's gonna be a great trip. Don't be embarrased about what things you like. Nothing wrong with a bit of culture. I.ve booked to see Flavia and Vincent next year in Midnight Tango. Also off to see McEnroe v Lendle in a couple of weeks.

Sponsored Links
I'd go and see Andre Rieu just to listen to Amazing Grace, the you tube videos just make your hair on your neck stand up

A great idea, hopping on and off the eurotunnel shuttle is an absolute breeze. The only thing I'd warn you about is the parking in those great but car unfriendly cities but if you are confident in getting around these places where they all drive on the wrong side of the road then I'd go for it.

I drive a foreign car, a Skoda Yeti, will that help. ;) ;)

Its been a few years since I drove on the continent, do u still have to give way to anything on the right.?

Sounds like it's gonna be a great trip. Don't be embarrased about what things you like. Nothing wrong with a bit of culture. I.ve booked to see Flavia and Vincent next year in Midnight Tango. Also off to see McEnroe v Lendle in a couple of weeks.

McEnroe v Lendle, I get that, tennis, Flavia and Vincent. Scuse my ignorance, but?

I bet he didn't know which direction to point his "bow " in. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

do u still have to give way to anything on the right.?

Certainly in France.

There's still the odd rule you mention that is in force all over the country where if you're joining a main road from the right, you don't have to give way, so keep your eyes peeled. Remember: Priorité a Droite!!

It also used to be that people on a roundabout had to give way to people coming on but AFAICT, they've scrapped that all over the country.

Remember you have to be 18 to drive in France, so if you or your wife are 17, don't go just yet! ;)

Don't forget your kit: Headlamp adjusters (unless the Yeti has ones that can be adjusted without the need for external lenses), GB sign, flu jacket or vests for each person (keep them on the backs of the front seats so they are visible by the Gendarme), bulb kit, breathalyser kit (with 2 in, although the fine of 11 euros for not carrying them has been postponeed till March 13), warning triangle, fire extinguisher, first aid kit.

The last two are not compulsory, but in France, there is a good samaritan rule: you must stop and help if someone needs assistance.

Don't forget that Gendarmes can fine you on the spot and will only accept cash: MAKE SURE YOU GET A RECEIPT!!

Also, you must carry paperwork, or you will be fined: Driving licence, V5C and Cert of Insurance, showing cover for France.

You don't need a green card any more, because our insurance cover meets the minimum required in any EU country, but it's worth double checking with your insurance company that you're good to go.

The speed limits on the autoroute are 130 in the dry and 110 when wet or raining, so watch out for that too.

Other limits are DC: 110D/100W, open roads 90D/80W, Town 50.

DD limit is 0.5, but obviously best not to!

What I found a very good aide-memoire was a sticker on the windscreen
(http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_708361_langId_-1_categoryId_165723)

which I just glance at when approaching junctions, reminding me of the fact i'm driving on the right. It's obvious you are, but easy to get confused at junctions, especially when you're at home in your RHD car.

I prefer to drive LHD on the continent, find it far easier to fall in to things "the other way round"!

Oh, if you have a speed trap detector, be prepared to get hammered if you get caught using it (up to 1500 euros fine and or confiscation of the unit and or the car), ditto SATNAV with speed trap locations on it. Disable them. If your Yeti has SATNAV built-in, and it has speed trap locations on it, consult the handbook or Skoda to find out how to disable the warnings.

And be warned. The authorities are removing all signs warning of speed traps....

Hope this helps.

I love driving in France. Same population as us, country 3 times the size, less congestion, happy days!!

Safe journey, ano.

I'd go and see Andre Rieu just to listen to Amazing Grace, the you tube videos just make your hair on your neck stand up

Especially when wearing stereo headphones, and I mean the full set not these little earpiece jobbies!

I wouldn't call it culture. Real classical players can't stand him and his playing to the gallery. Cheap trick is a better name.

I wouldn't call it culture. Real classical players can't stand him and his playing to the gallery. Cheap trick is a better name.
That is so true, but he is a good showman, and has some quite attractive singers who are very easy on the eye.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Back