Angel of Death

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.history.ucsb.edu/faculty/marcuse/classes/33d/projects/naziwomen/irma.htm

well that's one in History................but there appears to be another one

from the following link quoted

"Some of the nurses were incredibly cruel, and Mum nicknamed the worst one Nurse Ratched, after the horrible character in the asylum in One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest. She was in her early 30s, slim and attractive – but seemed to enjoy taunting the bewildered old folk in her care.

One afternoon, food arrived and it was spicy Mexican tomato soup which my Mum – and many of the other elderly patients with sensitive stomachs – could not eat. Mum hadn’t eaten for weeks, but she asked for some of the Heinz chicken soup I had brought in a tin.

I went to the microwave, and Nurse Ratched stopped me, citing ‘health and safety’. I said: ‘I’ll go to the canteen and warm it then,’ and she said coldly: ‘I can’t allow you to do that. Health and safety.’"

this is from the fanatstic woman who exposed the scandal despite numerous people trying to sweep it under the carpet..........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...woman-spearheaded-campaign.html#axzz2KAxzpGgh

Julie Bailey well done woman !

rogues gallery
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...woman-spearheaded-campaign.html#axzz2KAxzpGgh

Sponsored Links
Perhaps Julie Bailey would have done a better job, had she called the cruel nurse by her correct name, instead of a character from a film's name. I'm bloody sure I wouldn't allow such a cruel nurse to hide behind nicknames. ;) ;)

Remember too , that up to now, no one has lost their job through this scandal.

You gotta realise that the NHS is run primarily by the staff for the benefit of the staff. Doctors are top dog and the rest all fall into their place.

You gotta realise that the NHS is run primarily by the staff for the benefit of the staff. Doctors are top dog and the rest all fall into their place.

I was under the impression the pen pushers were in charge of running the hospitals.

Sponsored Links
Bring back the days when the patient came first,,, nowadays, money comes first to the detriment of the patients. Too many overpaid hangers on at the top!! No wonder there's so little time for the sick.

You can say all you want about managers in the NHS but the ball stops FIRMLY with the arrogant clinical staff.

I have managed in the NHS and you will get GPs acusing you of racism if they don't like the rota you create.
They won't play ball with any policies you try to implement like peer reviews of consultations and ALL clinical staff from nurses upwards will avoid ALL responsibility as much as possible through laziness or fear of their own incompetence.
Things that should have been done on one shift will be left for someone on the next.. Its the easiest dodge in the world.
The managers try their best but at the end of the day the GPs and clinical staff have the service by the balls and they screw every penny they can out of the system.

These reports dont surprise me at all. In primary care we used to get nurses who had worked within hospitals and they were grade 7/8 on up to 40k a year and they literally could not change a finger bandage - that is no joke but when they feel under scrutiny they just hop to another advertised post leaving crap nursing in their wake but avoiding trouble.
The services with them wont say how crap they are because they want to get rid of them.

The managers are hamstrung with policy makers who keep throwing initiative after initiative at them without any chance of implementing them properly before the next wholesale change arrives.

The NHS is screwed and needs scrapping and starting again.

Any managers who take an interest in patient welfare will quickly find the clinical staff will start a campaign to have them ousted.

I once took an asthmatic patient to the local chemist because she arrived on site having an asthma attack. Our GP prescribed the medication and she was sat wheezing in the waiting room with this useless piece of paper in her hand.
She was in no state to walk the 200m to the local chemist so I drove her there and she was extremely grateful.

My reward? The clinical staff reported me and I was carpeted.

I left the NHS not too long after that deciding that my altruism and morals had no place within the NHS.

As roughcaster says, or my interpretation is that MDF290 is or was the problem, did we have a problem when the Matrons ran the wards?

Why did we fix, what in my opinion wasn't broke in the first place?

So so wrong.

The managers were only brought into the system because clinical staff will avoid responsiblity at any cost not only that they are incredibly lazy.

Your local GP sits and does his consultations and that is his day done. He is NOT interested in spending time on an evening doing any planning or organising.

The NHS runs on agency staff and none of them look beyond the end of their own shift and even then they will not take responsibility of what they are doing within it.

Ask an agency nurse to do a stockcheck of your medicines and she will refuse point blank and say it is not her responsibility.
If you incredulously ask your superiors if she can do that they will say yes.

The clinical staff have created this mess because as soon as someone is taught to take a blood pressure reading or record anything into notes they begin acting like they are demi gods.

This effect filters all the way down to reception staff.

I remember once I had an argument with a GP.
A patient arrived on time for a scheduled appointment and a GP was in with other staff discussing monitoring blood pressure.

I knocked on the door to tell the GP his patient was here expecting him to respond.
He did not. After two more reminders from myself he eventually saw the patient 40 minutes late.
He came to see me afterwards an unhappy man that I had interupted his time with the HCAs he was advising.

I said the patient was on site in time for his appointment.

The GPs exact response was . . .

'You can't see them straight way you will raise their expectations'.

you had all better rethink this glib trotted out phalacy that managers have ruined the NHS...

MDF290 says;

Ask an agency nurse to do a stockcheck of your medicines and she will refuse point blank and say it is not her responsibility.

Reading between the lines i think MDF is quite young, WE DIDN'T HAVE AGENCY NURSES IN THE 60'S, so we didn't have the problem of them refusing to work!! from my limited understanding from a few nurses i've KNOWN :cool: :LOL: :LOL: The problems started when the managers were brought in and promptly set about making "cut backs" sacking a load of experienced nurses, that caused a shortage which meant the agency staff had to then step in to fill the breach, not forgetting the agency taking their cut as well.

As i said why fix what wasn't broke??

I think one of the biggest problems the NHS faces these days, is the vast amount of unnecessary paperwork the staff have to complete (not including the computer reports they have to generate) For starters, doctors , shouldn't be driven by targets. A junior doctor working the night shift in A&E shouldn't have to worry about whether he's treated 50 people or 100, just as long as he's saved lives. Nurses, should be nursing patients, not filling in hours of paperwork each shift.

Nurses were not trained to fill in endless forms, or file paperwork in the right coloured folder, (god help them if they put the wrong paperwork in the blue folder instead of the yellow one )

As roughcaster says, or my interpretation is that MDF290 is or was the problem, did we have a problem when the Matrons ran the wards?

So so wrong.

Nothing personally against mdf, but I agree with pred here.

In the old days, the matron ruled with an iron hand. There would be absolutely no question when told to do something and woe betide any nurse who didn't fulfil her (no 'hims' in those days!) duties.

Now, for some reason, one matron has been replaced by a number of 'nursing officers' (or whatever title they have adopted nowadays) of various pay grades who probably spend most of their time walking around clutching clipboards and trying to look important.

Which system worked best? Well, I compare what I witnessed (admittedly a long time ago) with the sort of things I have heard about and read on this thread.

Can anyone explain to me why the matron was replaced by a small army of nursing 'administrators'? It can't be money, can it?

MDF290 says;

Reading between the lines i think MDF is quite young, WE DIDN'T HAVE AGENCY NURSES IN THE 60'S, so we didn't have the problem of them refusing to work!! from my limited understanding from a few nurses i've KNOWN :cool: :LOL: :LOL: The problems started when the managers were brought in and promptly set about making "cut backs" sacking a load of experienced nurses, that caused a shortage which meant the agency staff had to then step in to fill the breach, not forgetting the agency taking their cut as well.

As i said why fix what wasn't broke??

I agree the system was so much better in the old days.
However don't blame the 'service' managers who are trying to do everything they can to get the clinical staff working.

Dont think either for one minute that nursing staff today are driven by the same values they used to be.

A matron today would probably find herself on the wrong end of a bullying claim driven by HR and the nurses union.

I kid you not.

So so wrong.

Nothing personally against mdf, but I agree with pred here.

In the old days, the matron ruled with an iron hand. There would be absolutely no question when told to do something and woe betide any nurse who didn't fulfil her (no 'hims' in those days!) duties.

Now, for some reason, one matron has been replaced by a number of 'nursing officers' (or whatever title they have adopted nowadays) of various pay grades who probably spend most of their time walking around clutching clipboards and trying to look important.

Which system worked best? Well, I compare what I witnessed (admittedly a long time ago) with the sort of things I have heard about and read on this thread.

Can anyone explain to me why the matron was replaced by a small army of nursing 'administrators'? It can't be money, can it?

I agree it was better then and I agree that bringing in managers was a mistake however I refute that the managers have messed things up and if we simply went back to the old ways sack all the managers and bring back matrons everything would be hunky dory.

It needs a wholesale change of attitude from the current clinical staff.
As things stand at the moment even a matron would be powerless against the entrenched clinical staffing model.

In the good old days, there were many a doctor, wouldn't argue with Matron. ;) ;) ;)

As things stand at the moment even a matron would be powerless against the entrenched clinical staffing model.
Ahh that's probably because some government /EU directive, brought workers rights into the equation. Then followed that by rights for this that and t'other. Then brought in patient rights, visitors rights, relatives rights, patients pets rights , patients pets fleas rights. Nowadays we all have so many rights, there's bound to be some conflict of rights along the way. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back