Angle grinder and my finger

Sponsored Links
I am terrified of pen knives. Because of UK laws, you can't ordinarily carry a normal knife around. I stuck my pen knife into the side of a tree, for reasons that are too long to explain, but the thing folded, with my finger trapped. Almost severed the tip. I walked home through a wildlife reserve with my right hand bright red and dripping blood, I must have looked a sight. I stuck the tip back on, and it healed up, I've almost got full sensation in it now, several years later. I now hate penknives, they are downright dangerous. A decent fixed blade, or locking blade would be safer.

Sponsored Links
Built an entire kitchen without cutting myself once... impressive, then cut myself taking the rubbish out... yep anything with a spinning blade / chain is to be treated with extreme caution. worst accident I had was falling off a ladder.

A lot more energy in a disk than a chainsaw blade. Just not as much input power.

You can easily store a kJ of energy in a grind disk. About twice that of a .45 bullet, which is why they kick so hard if they catch. I'm somewhat happy they don't stop instantly as god knows what damage that could do.

Fubar

That's pants ****tingly bad.

My old Wwwwwickes (said in the fcking annoying w'nker off the tv advert) grinder seems to have lost it's slow start and takes a while to stop also.

Does anyone make a grinder that has a brake on power off? (too late for an exploding blade i know)

Seconded the poster who wrote that he avoids using gloves - I was once working under the Landy and wearing latex gloves. Frustrated by yet another rusted bolt I went and got the angle grinder and wriggled it up into the space between me and the floor so that I could grind downwards. What I didn't know was that my gloved finger was pushing the ON button and the damned thing powered up. Cue a couple of seconds of me juggling with the damned thing as it headed towards my chest while trying to reach the button and avoid the blade, which contacted the palm of my hand leaving a nice deep burn mark right across it. Idiot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back