Angle grinder large enough for the job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have some Hitachi power tools with plenty of batteries, and so I was thinking of getting a bare Hitachi 4.5" grinder available cheaply on Ebay, to sling in my car boot with a battery, in case I ever get clamped.

I've done this job with a petrol grinder and a corded 9" grinder before, but am not sure whether the blades on a baby grinder are upto the task...?

Sponsored Links
You could actually do it with a 'Dremmel' provided you had a steady enough hand, and a good supply of abrasive cut off discs.

Wotan

Most of the clampers I've seen operating sit in a van nearby and wait till you've left the vehicle before clamping. Theres a carpark up north somewhere in a quaint town thats notorious for clamping and they have a couple of full time employees to clamp the unsuspecting tourists.

If you get caught grinding off the clamp they will surely get you for criminal damage?

Sponsored Links
Most of the clampers I've seen operating sit in a van nearby and wait till you've left the vehicle before clamping. Theres a carpark up north somewhere in a quaint town thats notorious for clamping and they have a couple of full time employees to clamp the unsuspecting tourists.

If you get caught grinding off the clamp they will surely get you for criminal damage?
You could buy another lock, and relock the device off the car, leaving them the keys. :p

The cordless grinder will do, but you may need a fully charged battery or two. And don't press too hard

Make sure you use the ultra-thin discs, which are normally sold for cutting stainless steel and are only about 1.5mm thick. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back