Angle grinding floor for cables?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to work out some way to get my Sky cables (two full size ones as the engineer said it was better and more felxible than a lower profile twin cable) and a power cable across a doorway. Tacking around the outside of the door frame is really unappealing, especially as the cables are black. I'm thinking I would probably be best off cutting a channel in the concrete floor and then covering it over with a wooden panel, of maybe cutting it carefully enough to fit in some one inch rectangular trunking for neatness.

Is going at the floor a reasonable idea? If so, what's the best approach to achieve it? I've a brick bolster and 3/4 inch masonry chisel and hammer drill already, but possibly able to use this as a reason to justify buying an angle grinder if there's a good enough reason.

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
What type of floor covering do you have ? carpet?

To cut the chanel i would always use an angle grinder, it makes things much easier and neater. if you can't borrow one they're cheap enough now at about £18. Then you could use trunking to fit in the slot neatly without having to cover so your cables are always accessible.

Check this on the electrical forum - there are safe zones which you can install power cables in.

If the concrete floor is part of the structure then I don't think you should be cutting chunks out of it? Might be better in the building forum! Forget trying to notch concrete with a brick bolster, grinder much more suited but VERY dusty - you have been warned!

Sponsored Links
You can't put power cables and aerial cables in the same channel/trunking.

You can't bury power cables in a place/depth where they might get damaged.

I suggest you use 2 lengths of earthed steel conduit - one for the aerial cables, one for power.

you're right, tacking the cables around the frame looks gash.
What about some white mini-trunking? Once the edges are caulked to the wall/frame, you may not even notice it.

Two lots of mini-trunking - you can't put power cables and aerial cables in the same one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back