Animal-proof alarm Pir?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

We have the common Veritas R8 system.

We also have two cats, and a flight of stairs...

Of course, the cats keep setting the alarm off, and can use the stairs, which can raise them into PIR view.

I had a guy come out, who fitted PIRs that were supposed to "ignore anything below a certain size"... They don't.

Is there anything that can be done about that, avoid the cats, or is that "just how these things work"?

Sponsored Links
I used a pair of pet pir's in our house. From memory, you can set them to ignore anything below 20kg and 40kg by repostioning jumper pins inside them. Perhaps you need to move the jumper pins up a notch? When I set mine, I tested it out by setting the alarm then, from a room that I wasn’t detected (covered up sensor), I kept chucking a toy for my dog to retrieve into the protected zone. Never had a problem and it picks me up even if I go across the room commando style (and I don’t mean wearing no underwear!).

You can't have a pet sensor that will face stairs or look across to open stairs ....it won't work ....

Thanks both, I'll check the dips in the PIRs for the Kg etc.

Re stairs and open doors, the sensors aren't aimed at them, but perhaps catching it in the extremes of their view.

Are we saying you can't have stairs or doorways in the pir view, even if I select the max kg on the sensor?

Sponsored Links
Because the way they work is they look at something above 1.2M high usually and as soon as an object gets above that height they will activate.

so kitchen unit tops of sofas and some window sills, not to mention cats climbing curtains.

not a fan of petwise detectors because of short people can rob you or those that crawl, you can see footage from cameras inside some properties that show burglars crawling across the floor to avoid setting alarms off.

safer to have your animals out, or limited access and perimeter based detection or contacts on internal doors etc.

some burglars will be aware of whom has pets before they break in.

whats probably even more annoying is that if your cats /small dogs are normally at ground level a normal decent pir won’t activate anyway as they walk about.

We had the same issue with the cat and the stairs. It was solved by putting some masking tape on the inside of the detector screen at the top.

It still detects down the hallway however it now doesn’t cover the stairs so the cat doesn’t set it off.

Was a cheap workaround for us, might be worth a shot.

Masking detectors is always a possibility but you have to be aware that you don’t want to damage the lens.

Some pirs come with masking sheet and you can you can block out areas of the pir properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back