Indication that alarm is set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Situation often occurs: alarm set at night. Occupant gets up in morning, comes downstairs (no PIRs) and opens back door to let the cat out. - Alarm kicks off!

If I had a flashing LED on the door frame (which I've tried elsewhere without guaranteed success) if the sun's shining, the LED isn't noticed.

I'm thinking, as the (absent minded) (could be me, but isn't) person walks through the kitchen, a PIR (not linked to an alarm zone) triggers a strobe or a buzzer on top of the wall cupboard to warn not to open door before putting alarm off.

This needs to be on a short timer, so if there's a trip to the fridge in the night, it can just be ignored.

I'll run a switched 12v from the (Galaxy G2) panel to tell the PIR / timer when the system is set. Seems straightforward, but I'm sure someone else must have gone through this problem before.

Any suggestions to keep it simple?

Sponsored Links
I'm no alarm expert but have some knowledge from a Galaxy home install. How about...

Fit a PIR somewhere and set it to be an entry/exit zone when night set, this will start the countdown timer when activated, which you'll hear. Set it as an intruder zone when full set for extra security.

Change the kitchen door zone to entry/exit, which will do the same countdown (although it'll obviously do the countdown before sounding the alarm, ie while the burglar quickly nicks your ipad off the worktop).

Personally I'd go with a PIR and live with the inconvenience of having to disarm the system during the trip to the fridge.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd go with a PIR and live with the inconvenience of having to disarm the system during the trip to the fridge.

The zoned PIR on 'Entry/Exit' isn't a possibility on this install unfortunately (one family member won't be able to operate the system, which is why it's 'perimeter' only)

Maybe it'll have to be, back door on E/E, although it's not ideal ... re: the 'ipad on the worktop' ...

But then just programming the back door to E/E isn't immediately the solution, because they won't hear the keypad countdown at the front door (set at low volume for night setting) from the kitchen. So that then means increasing the volume, or putting a speaker in the kitchen - more disturbance if someone's having a lie-in.

Problem could be solved with simple flashing light that is bright enough.

what about a solenoid operating a small flag indicator by the door. With a simple timer circuit ( NE 555 timer and couple of components ) the flag could wave. Movement is noticed far more than static item

or a small motor rotating a disc with two different coloured sectors.

I've not played about with groups on mine so I suppose I'm only thinking out loud here, but could you add a new group with only a new kitchen PIR in it, then have an output which only that group triggers, and have that output as a strobe or something in the kitchen?

Very inventive bernard :D

Actually, if I go to the bother of a solenoid, it could bring in a 'security light' type PIR which would in turn would bring in the 12vDC and feed a small strobe on top of the wall cupboard.

Not sure if the conspicuous green flag / spinning disc would have the je ne sais quoi of their sophisticated bespoke kitchen ... but I like the idea :LOL:

SNM";p="3229055 said:
So that then means increasing the volume, or putting a speaker in the kitchen - more disturbance if someone's having a lie-in.

Problem could be solved with simple flashing light that is bright enough.

Yes, I agree that it could be solved with simple flashing light that is bright enough. Thank you!

Thank you!
Don't mention it :)

Think I've got it sorted now.
Switched (when set) 12v from panel to supply PIR close to back door.
Separate DC supply (SMPSU) local in kitchen - feel better keeping it separate - through contacts on PIR feeding simple timer (set at about 30sec) which feeds a strobe or buzzer or both, all on top of wall cupboard.

Pretty much what I said at the beginning. Just wanted to see if there was a more straightforward idea that hadn't occurred to me.

Thanks

How about back door as an Entry, and an extra keypad by the back door?

I have two keypads on my Galaxy (may not be the same)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back