Animals under roof tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Two years ago we had our loft converted into a master bedroom with ensuite bathroom, including a total of 5 roof windows. Lately I've heard the sound of tiny steps above us when in the loft and have assumed it was just pigeons walking around on top of the tiles. Today however I opened a roof window to have a look and saw nothing there, whilst still hearing the sound of tiny footsteps. So:

What animal might this be? Squirrel? Rat?
Should I be concerned if they are between the tiles and the underlay?
Should I assume they have always had access, or could the fitting of roof windows have opened up access gaps?
What needs to be done about this?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
glider26, good evening.

If it were me? I would attempt to define your non-paying guest?

Have you seen any rodents in or around the Property? Do you feed the Birds in the Garden? not just a rhetorical question dropped seed attracts rodents and Squirrels

Next, I would stick my head out of the windows in turn and see if you can locate any possible entry points, also if possible using binoculars or similar have a good look at the roof for possible entry points, from ground level.

Ken.

While mice are not uncommon, you certainly do not want squirrels or rats they will often cause damage to cables and even plastic pipes and even lead flashings
might be wise to get a pest guy to take a look.

Sponsored Links
I had squirrels once
Noisy buggers!
You need to find out what you're deleting with as they can be very destructive

My pest guy told me that squirrels look for tree nesting birds (or birds that nest near gutters) and take over their nesting sites. In my case I had a bird nesting on a corner, and the squirrel moved in and gnawed away a big bit of timber to gain access

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back