annoying buzzing/tinny noise from meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I hope I get some help with this as this forum has been a great help to me in the past.

I have the old spinning disc type meter and randomly it will make a high pitched buzzing/whirling noise (that only I can hear, Wife thinks I'm going mad) but anyway.

The noise is random, regardless of what electrics are on/off or time of day or anything, BUT if i give the meter a gentle tap with a inanimate object (sky remote) the noise will stop.

The meter is tight to the blocks of wood to the wall so the whole thing is secure.

Any ideas what this could be and most importantly, is it likely to cost me money to pay my supply to fix it :(

cheers all

Sponsored Links
It's probably just the meter getting old. It's nothing to worry about. Loads of older meters do it.

As it's annoying you, put in a call to your electricity supplier (the people you pay your bill to) and tell them your meter is buzzing. They should replace it FOC.

It's usually the disk slightly touching the magnet when very little load is on.
Nothing to worry about unless as you say it really annoys you.

Sponsored Links
Usually when a device with laminated magnets starts "buzzing" the lamination s have loosened with age. There is nothing wrong but when it reaches the "annoying" stage then it is time as stated previously to get it replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back