Buzzing noise from light switch & flickering light bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help.

A few months ago my tenant reported a buzzing noise issue with the bathroom light switch so back then I just replaced the switch and the noise disappeared.

A few days ago he reported the same problem of a buzzing noise coming from the switch plus the bulb flickers too. He tried with a different bulb but the problem is still the same.

I am hoping to go round in a couple of days time and actually try and re-change the light switch with a brand new one again but was wondering if by those symptoms anyone can tell me what they think might be wrong and if changing the switch might cure the problem for good this time.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It could be the switch, or a loose connection.

Are there other wires in the switch, perhaps in a terminal block? You need to check it quickly as a loose connection can overheat, and you really do not want a fire. The buzzing sound will be a BIG clue!

Thank you.

I don't remember what kind of switch is exactly but I don't think there was a terminal block in there.

Have told my tenant not to use the switch in the meantime and will go there asap.

My tenant just sent me a picture of the switch, it is a standard 2 Gang 2 Way Light Switch

Sponsored Links
Dont post that picture, we know what a light switch is! What is interesting is what is behind the switch.

All I said was: "my tenant just sent me a picture", I've never said I was going to post it! I'm sure that everyone knows what a switch is, especially in an electrics web forum! :) Perhaps not everyone knew though (as I didn't remember either) what kind of switch it was so I've just clarified.

You certainly appreciate that I cannot really ask my tenant to unscrew the switch and show us what is behind there though. When I go there I'll find out and take it from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back