Annoying tap, pressure issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I fitted a new bathroom and I'm having an issue with my basin tap, whenever you open it fully it pulsates and the banging noise can be heard all over the house and next door!

When I plumbed everything in I used inline check valves on all of the taps, I've tried leaving it partially closed but the problem persists, any advice?

Video of the issue should be below, its only the cold water.

Sponsored Links
Check the direction arrow on check valves and isolation valves. Is it just the basin tap?

Sorry I meant isolation valve not check valve. I can take a pic if really necessary but I'll have to take the unit apart. I've attached a pic of the valve used below.

They don't have a flow direction marked on them and they're mounted vertically. I have used them on the basin and bath taps, shower and toilet supplies. The cold on the basin tap is the only one that has this issue.

Thanks.

Screenshot_20190324-213215_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think its an issue with the tap ,rather than that isolation valve. From the iso valve to the tap ,is it a flexi hose ? If you unscrew the flexi hose from the tap ,and direct it into a bucket ,then turn on the iso valve ,if water flows uninterrupted ( I.e without the pulsating) then the tap is suspect.

No it's not on a flexi pipe. I'm not sure I can try that without making a mess. Nothing else has changed with the plumbing and the old tap didn't used to do this.

Do you think the tap could be faulty or is it possible it's just designed for a lower pressure?

Hi Chris,

Makes it a bit clearer now. This could be a faulty valve (although I doubt it), a fault on the install or indeed the tap. A fault on the install may have something trapped inside or the insert if using plastic. Terryplumbs idea is very good and straightforward.

It's a mixture of the old copper and new plastic that I have used. I don't believe there could be anything trapped inside, everything was new and the install was straightforward. I will try and see if I can direct the pipe into a bucket one night this week. The valve does stop the flow of water but when its turned down enough to stop the banging hardly any water comes out.

I've also just noticed that when you flush the toilet then turn the tap on it is ok, until the cistern has filled, then it starts banging again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back