Another 3 gang 2 way please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
I'm replacing an old 3 gang 2 way switch and could do with some help. I've some attached some pics of the old and the new. Two are one way and the third on the right is a two way. Any help appreciated.
Top wire.jpg
Bottom wires.jpg
All wires.jpg
New switch.jpg

PS. Have I even got the right kind of new switch?

Sponsored Links
That's the right switch, but I'm crap at explaining.

Your old switch (and your new one) has 3 sets of 3 terminals but if you imagine they are in a triangle with the one in the middle upside down.
The old switch has A, B and C for the 3 lights. I'll call them X..
Your new switch has the triangles clearly marked, but in a different way to your old switch.

You need to put all the com on the old switch to com on the new one, the ones maked X1 to 1 way, and the one marked X2 to 2 way, but take care, as the "pointy end" of the triangle on the new switch isn't the same as the old switch.

Probably clear as mud so good luck!

Thanks Mike, actually that's very clear and I'll try it this afternoon.
I looked at other posts, google diagrams etc and the triangle layout was mentioned alot but I couldn't SEE it. Now I can and it makes what I've been learning start to make some kind of sense and be a little less scary.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What makes your new switch more confusing is it doesn't follow a normal UK layout. Nromally UK switches have COM at one end of the triangle, but that one doesn't.

I'm using a Scheider lisse 10ax 3-gang 2-way light switch from Screwfix so figured it was kind of normal.

Think that because I now understand the triangle thing, I'm hoping I'll be able to see it on other switches in the future. It just seems more logical now. Baby steps!

It worked! Out of curiosity, do the extra 1 way & 2 way both run along to the dimmer switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back