Another bathroom tiling question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm new to the forum and just need a little advice with regards to tiling a bathroom floor.

My parents have decided they want a new bathroom and naturally my father wants to do most of it himself rather than pay for a professional to do a proper job. He wants to just take up the current cork tiles and make use of the floorboards if they're in good enough condition. I would much prefer to put down some decent ceramic tiles. I'm guessing the cork tiles have been laid directly onto the floorboards, but I could be wrong.

If we were to go with the floorboard idea, what would we need to do to make them suitable for use in a bathroom? Presumably there is some sort of water-proofing under or on the current tiles which we would loose once they're gone, so we will surely have to treat the floorboards with something. I imagine there'll also be a gap between the boards which will need to be filled.

Personally I don't think using the boards is a good idea and would much rather put down some tiles which leads me to my second question. If we do tile, I'll put down 15mm WBP ply directly on the floorboards as suggested elsewhere on the forum and tile onto that with a suitable flexible powdered(?) adhesive, but should I do the whole floor, even under where the bath and shower enclosure will go? None of the materials will be cheap, so I don't want to do the whole floor if I don't have to. I read on another post that tiling the whole floor has its advantages, but this was in reference to tiling a kitchen. Do the same pros and cons apply to a bathroom too?

On another note, when tiling the walls should I tile the whole wall first THEN put the bath, shower etc in or tile AFTER they're installed. Tiling before would seem to solve the problem of cutting tiles to odd shapes to fit around the appliances.

I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere. From reading the forum I think I have a pretty good idea of what to do, but I thought it prudent to ask after explaining my specific situation.

Thanks for reading.

Toby

Sponsored Links
Hi and welome to the forum Tony.

My parents have decided they want a new bathroom and naturally my father wants to do most of it himself rather than pay for a professional to do a proper job. He wants to just take up the current cork tiles and make use of the floorboards if they're in good enough condition. I would much prefer to put down some decent ceramic tiles.
Questions.... Who's house? Who's paying? If the answer to both questions is your dad, then I would suggest that you won't be getting tiles fitted. :LOL:

If we were to go with the floorboard idea, what would we need to do to make them suitable for use in a bathroom? Presumably there is some sort of water-proofing under or on the current tiles which we would loose once they're gone, so we will surely have to treat the floorboards with something. I imagine there'll also be a gap between the boards which will need to be filled.
You'd be better asking this in the flooring section. But if you want my opinion, you won't be able to fill the gaps properly without the filler coming out.

Personally I don't think using the boards is a good idea and would much rather put down some tiles which leads me to my second question. If we do tile, I'll put down 15mm WBP ply directly on the floorboards as suggested elsewhere on the forum and tile onto that with a suitable flexible powdered(?) adhesive, but should I do the whole floor, even under where the bath and shower enclosure will go?
Well first off, 12mm WBP ply is sufficient, but if you want to go to the extra expense (both money wise and height wise) of 15mm then that's your decision. You can tile the whole floor, but in my experience, I don't think I've ever seen a bathroom that has been. Generally speaking, the floor tiling should be one of the last jobs in the bathroom.

None of the materials will be cheap, so I don't want to do the whole floor if I don't have to. I read on another post that tiling the whole floor has its advantages, but this was in reference to tiling a kitchen. Do the same pros and cons apply to a bathroom too?
I would suggest that this applies more in a kitchen - the chances are that if you fit a new kitchen that it might be a different layout and you would be left with untiled areas. Personally, I wouldn't bother in a bathroom.

On another note, when tiling the walls should I tile the whole wall first THEN put the bath, shower etc in or tile AFTER they're installed. Tiling before would seem to solve the problem of cutting tiles to odd shapes to fit around the appliances.
Fit the bath and shower first. Then tile the room. Fit the sink and toilet once the tiles are finished.

It's his house, my mum's paying and I still live there. It's really going to be my mum's bathroom as she's the one who wants to renovate, but she's asked me to design it, price it up, work out the logistics and help build it so I think I have a stronger vote ;) She's said she doesn't mind what we end up with as long as it's new and functional, so the design is ultimately up to me, but as you've pointed out, it's my dad's house and perhaps I should respect the pecking order. I personally think tiles are a more practical solution, so I'll put my case to him.

Oh, and I did actually mean 12mm ply not 15mm. Don't know why I put 15mm down.

Thanks for the advice regarding the process of tiling. I won't be tiling the whole floor then which will save a bit of money. I shall probably be a frequent visitor to the forum in the next few weeks seeking advice as I progress through the project so I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again.

Toby

Sponsored Links
You have several options with regards to the flooring sub-base. Tops Tiles do a product similar to no more ply that is about 6mm thick from memory and both of these are ment to be a direct replacement for WPB plywood, however I have never personally used either so can not comment on how good/bad they are. On instruction for floor adhesive they say to use 15mm WPB plywood, however I could not source any locally so used 12mm absolutely fine IMO the important factor is how flat the surface you are screwing to and to screw every 20mm C/C. NB however if you do not follow the manufactures guidelines and their product fail they may simply walk away leaving you to rectify any problems, so just be aware.

I would not waste time and money on tiling under shower trays and baths, however these must both be installed before you tile the walls as if the falls are not flat you will have a big problem between the mating surfaces of the bath/shower to the wall ie gaps.

As for the toilet and basin it will be alot easier to install these once the flooring is done, just make sure any pipes to feed them are in the correct place before tiling the floor.

HTH

Jeremy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back