Another Ceiling Rose install

And the news from the front is that the job is finished.

I have two lights in the hall and three switches.
One light operated by one switch is by the front door and one light operated by two switches further down the hallway.
Fair enough - but for a while it did look as if you might have connected the new rose to the switched supply of the original one.

Couldn't be ar**d to wire up all three switches to both lights, would've been good but not vital.
All that's left is to make good etc etc.
Before you make good, consider this:

Of the pair of new switches, make the one with the new switch drop an intermediate rather than a 2-way, but wire it for 2-way operation. Use 3C+E as the drop cable but only use 2 cores of it as per a normal drop, and make it long enough to reach across and down to the switch by the front door, with the excess neatly coiled up in the floor void.

Then if ever you change your mind you can convert to 3-way switching with only the wall by the door needing a new cable and making good.

Ban all sheds : went with your suggestion to change the existing three gang and one gang to a four gang and it looks much tidier so thanks for that.
NP - feel free to click here: ;)

I meant to ask - what's that vertical channel below and to the left of the switches - not a buried cable I hope?

p.s. she's actually a he, last time I looked anyway. :)
Be fair - Nelly isn't a common name for a bloke.

Sponsored Links
Be fair - Nelly isn't a common name for a bloke.
True and not the first time it's confused things :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The vertical channel below and to the left of the switches was a stair post that was removed so that's safe.
The "thanks" button was well and truly pushed.

To check : the switch drop is the cable from the rose to the switch ?
Like the wire it up in case plan, wish I'd thought of it.
New to all this though, that's my excuse. :)

True and not the first time it's confused things :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Welcome to the Internet, where men are women, women are men, and under-age girls are hairy-a***d policemen.

To check : the switch drop is the cable from the rose to the switch ?
Yup.

Like the wire it up in case plan, wish I'd thought of it.
If you've not made good it's not too late.

Of the pair of new switches, make the one with the new switch drop an intermediate rather than a 2-way, but wire it for 2-way operation. Use 3C+E as the drop cable but only use 2 cores of it as per a normal drop, and make it long enough to reach across and down to the switch by the front door, with the excess neatly coiled up in the floor void.
If you've not made good it's not too late.

Not made good yet and it is a good idea.
So I've got my head round it properly : I change the 2C+E drop cable for a 3C+E.
Or put in a 3C+E drop as well ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I mixed up your name...at leasy it ended in a "y"... :oops:

At least I did not get your gender wrong....!! ;)

So I've got my head round it properly : I change the 2C+E drop cable for a 3C+E.
Just change it, and only use 2 cores. Ideally you should earth the unused core and sleeve it G/Y.

If you ever decide you want your original idea of 3-way switching of the 2 lights together it becomes the 3-core strapper to the switch by the door and you connect the switched live of the new rose to the switched live of the original.

Just change it, and only use 2 cores. Ideally you should earth the unused core and sleeve it G/Y.

If you ever decide you want your original idea of 3-way switching of the 2 lights together it becomes the 3-core strapper to the switch by the door and you connect the switched live of the new rose to the switched live of the original.

Nice one, I'll do that (although that's a job for next week, used up enough of my leave days already) ;)
In the set up I have now : If I connect the switched live of the new rose to the switched live of the original both lights will be controlled by the two new switches and the old light will be controlled by old switch ? Or am I over-thinking things ? :confused:

No, you're under-thinking things ;)

Do that and both lights will be controlled by all 3 switches, but probably not in the way you'd want. Any of them would turn them both on, but all would need to be off for the lights to go off. e.g. if you turned them on with the switch by the door then neither of your new switches would do a thing.

No, you're under-thinking things ;)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Do that and both lights will be controlled by all 3 switches, but probably not in the way you'd want. Any of them would turn them both on, but all would need to be off for the lights to go off. e.g. if you turned them on with the switch by the door then neither of your new switches would do a thing.

Ok, I'm going change the switch drop to 3C+E and leave well alone until the bathroom is done.

Thanks for everything.

I'm back and hoping this thread is still "open".
She's changed her mind so I'm working on the original plan.
Two lights working off three switches.
Before I start work I just want to check I've got it straight.
I need to use twin & earth to take switched live, neutral and earth to the new rose.
Then the switches connect to each other using 3-core & earth cable.
ie the first switch is a two way, the second one is an intermediate and the third one is a two way.
Thanks in advance, Nelly.

I need to use twin & earth to take switched live, neutral and earth to the new rose.
Yes, connected to the same terminals as the actual lamp at the present light.
Then the switches connect to each other using 3-core & earth cable.
ie the first switch is a two way, the second one is an intermediate and the third one is a two way.
Yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back