Another day another Hive install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys all set up to wire up my hive single control receiver to my alpha combi boiler just have a few questions before I do so.

The L/N/E connectors are pretty self explanatory just want to confirm that connector 1 on the boiler is "Heating On" and connector 2 on the boiler is "Common".

As you can see I already have a wire in connector 1, I assume for the current external thermostat being replaced with the Hive, should I leave this in?

Final question can I run 5 core to wire everything or should I be using 2 cables, 1 for the mains supply and 1 for the thermostat controls?

Thanks in advance. 820faa0d-8c05-4f58-aa08-ede0159cb136.jpg 850a0d01-36d6-447e-911f-e32385fdc00e.jpg Wiring.JPG

Sponsored Links
1) You can wire the Hive L & N up into the existing L & N boiler mains supply.

2) Remove the wire link between 1 and 2 below
stat.JPG

Connect terminal 2 shown above to Hive single channel terminal 1 (Common)
Connect terminal 1 shown above to Hive single channel terminal 3 (Heating on)

[Actually Boiler 1 or 2 can go to Hive 1 and 3 either way around, it doesn't matter it's just a switch.]

3) Finally decommission the existing clock by either reinserting the link, if you still have it, or alternatively removing the wires marked R from the clock and joining them together.

Clock.JPG

Edit
Sorry, just noticed, your comment about the brown wire in terminal 1, is there an existing room thermostat somewhere you haven't mentioned? If so that thermostat will need to be disconnected completely. If not, you need to say where the brown wire goes to.

Last edited:
Hi Stem, thanks for confirming the order always good to get it confirmed.

Yes there is an external thermostat which we are replacing with the hive I had thought that cable was probably related, should I remove it or can it stay put if I'm disabling the clock anyway?

Thanks for your help.

All wires going to the existing thermostat should be disconnected / removed completely and then wire up the Hive as described.

Sponsored Links
Thanks I'll give it all a go this evening and let you know how it goes.

Hi Stem, sorry delayed response.

Just to let you know the install went well, very easy and the just had to knock the timer into permanently on in order to bypass that particular part.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back