Another downlighter thread, sorry, but advice required...

- Adjustable (so I can angle some at the walls to reflect the light)
- wide angle (for greater light dispersion)
You have it seems worked out how to use these lamps. The only way as you seem to have worked out is to reflect the light off light surfaces and to have as wide as beam as you can.

As to dimming I like the Turkish idea of a 1/3 and 2/3 split so you have three levels of lighting with two switches.

I still feel the 2D and similar light fittings give a better spread but have to admit LED lamps have come on and the GU10 version does seem to be the most readily available version so being able to nip into local B&M Bargains and buy replacements off the shelf does seem to be an advantage even if only 2W and narrow beam.

That is what I have against dim-able although internet is no problem to quickly buy local replacement is a problem so would try not to use dimmers.

Sponsored Links
If you want recessed lights, then use larger diameter ones, although given the construction I think you'll struggle to install any recessed lights without compromising the thermal insulation and the vapour barrier.

You can get thin LED panels, which could be surface mounted. Is there somewhere you could conceal a neon tube?

So ideally use some other form of lighting, otherwise larger diameter spots.
Not sure where I could conceal a neon tube so that's probably out of the question. I'll look into the lED panels, thanks.

There is 280mm of insulation and as you say some of that will need to be removed, which I guess isn't ideal. Although the amount should be small.

Not sure I understand the vapour barrier. I have plasterboard, rafters, and beams providing the ceiling to the bedroom and the insulation in the loft floor. Which of these, if any, provides a vapour barrier? If none then I guess that's not really a concern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back