Another drill question

Another important factor to consider when comparing prices is whether the batteries are lith-ion as opposed to the lesser and cheaper ni-cad.

You will pay a premium for lith-ion.

Sponsored Links
On this subject what size screws would i expect to be able to put in with the bosch or the ryobi 14 volts , is there some chart which tells you what Nm you would need for what screws . Mark

unfortunately the biggest i have is 4" 12[100mmx6mm]and both the ryobi and bosch 14.4 will peeee them although i have got a 6" coach bolt somwhere

Sponsored Links
does no-one like makita?

i have the 18v hammer drill from them and it would blast through the 2 jobs this fella wants, 2 batteries 30min charge £90

the ryobi stuff is good, especially the 18v kit thats on offer in many places just now

and with the bosch if you buy from their 18v dynamic series you can claim a free battery!

MFCGMFC what model is your makita is it lith-ion also where are the bosch daels , cheers mark

hi, i know its totally different to what anyone else has said but ive got the Makita 8391DWPE 18V Combi Drill and i love it, its nicd or nimh batteries, id rather have it over most li-ion drills anyday, ive done decking, stud walls and masonary drilling and it hasnt had a problem, if you do have a problem with any drill then you could allways pilot drill any holes.

just my honest opinion

tom

yip its the Makita 8391DWPE that ive got

there was an advert in the paper the other day saying if you buy one o the 18v li-ion blue drills you just need to register it to claim a free battery

Just to chuck something in the pot Howy but if you are doing a considerable amount of screwing have you considered a bit holder attachment for a SDS drill , goes on for ever and no batteries to worry about. Another option may be to hire a corded screw driver for the weekend.

hi noseall, i know theyre ment to outlast em but my 3.0 ah nimh batteries outlast my mates 3.0 li-ion batteries easily, they weigh more, but when im workin outside and my mates li-ion has packed because of the cold mine keeps goin strong, has happened loads of times

Ladylola excuse my ignorance , is an sds different to normal chucked corded drills , are they better for screwing ? what attachment goes into sds is it a hex end ? . cheers mark

There is no overall best battery technology.

Ni-Cd is old and is only really used in cheap tools and is best avoided. Ni-Mh is much better.

Ni-Mh is a very good battery technology for everyday use. It doesnt suffer as much in cold enviroments like li-ion does and also copes much better with very high current usage.

Li-ion doesnt work as well in the cold and is fine for drills etc... but if you use them in things like angle grinders with a very high current drain the batter will run out much quicker and it wont do the battery any good either.
They do keep their charge a lot better though when not in use so they are ideal for a device not in regular use.

SDS is a different way of holding the drill bit or other device. Instead of a chuck which clamps the shaft a SDS shaft is always the same size and has a fitting to make it fit better.
This means it is much better for things like drilling where a conventional chuck has a tendancy to slip. SDS drills are often used for drilling through walls as they have a very powerfull hammer action and motor. They are quite heavy and you will see a rating like 2kg, 5kg etc... This weight makes the hammer action a lot better.
If you turn off the hammer action and choose a lighter drill then they are perfect for screwing aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back