Joist / Noggin angle drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
What's best (£100 odd) for drilling through noggins and joists? -I've never used an angle drill (newbi alert) and was wondering whether a cordless 14.4v would be able to do it.
I also am a bit confused as to whether Ryobi are re-badged Black and Decca and if so are worth buying.
I'm not a professional user, but would like something that will last say 1 year of pro use.
I know the big names are waay out of my pocket; but was considering the Bosch Green vs Ryobi vs Second-hand big names.
I also want to get a Combi drill, so would appreciate advise here too. (budget about the ton and same sort of intended use).
Ta

Sponsored Links
A cordless 14.4v will do it - I use 12v stuff for that sort of work, the only bummer is having to recharge your batteries all the time, so a 3-battery solution may be called for if you are doing a hundred a day..... The main problem isn't the drill, it's actually getting sufficient clearance to get your drill and bit in between two joists

Ryobi are not rebadged Blach & Decker. They are a Japanese (now Chinese-owned) power tool firm

I believe Big-All is a user of Ryobi and holds them in high esteem, especially the One system

Scrit

Ta for the advice. There are some cracking Ryobi deals about too.

try a impact screwdriver with a trend snappy stubby auger in it - very short so no probs with clearance - plus it flies through

Sponsored Links
yep scrit is right i do love ryobi its well built stuff it feels good handles well
i classify ryobi as diy and light to medium tradei have it as my backup kit
funny enough i didnt get the ryobi angle drill because i managed to get a dewalt naked for £56 + vat +postage at around £68

the good thing about the ryobi is the battery rotates to let you get in even smaller spaces

go for the ryobi and get a hammer drill angle drill and full kit in a very handy bag to carry them in for a ton :D ;)

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=23571&ts=51504

I've recently bought the ryobi kit (see big-al's link) combi drill and angle drill, i am so far happy with its performance, i bought it from screwfix for £99 and now see its on offer at b+q for £66 :( (must be great value at that price)

£66 is the cost off 2 batteries and a charger [£60] and a kit bag [£10]

so they pay you £4 and give you the angle driver and hammer drill for free :rolleyes:

Thermo, the yellow thing they call a lanyard it clips in the drill (or other tools) in place of the battery so you can carry them on your tool belt etc (don't see much point myself)

andyandy2 said:
Thermo, the yellow thing they call a lanyard it clips in the drill (or other tools) in place of the battery so you can carry them on your tool belt etc (don't see much point myself)

yep one off the few daft ideas ryobi have had :D :D ;)

imagine your up a ladder tool in hand [yes i do realise the joke]

you want to swap tools so with
hand[1] you hold the ladder
hand[2] you grip the tool
hand[3] you remove the battery
hand[4]you grip the second tool
hand[5] you grip and remove the lanyard

now obviously what is needed is a wrist loop to put you hand through with a small but easy to secure and release from you belt mechanism

you also need all tools with a battery fitted so all your doing is dealing
with one tool at a time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back