Another garage/base question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my sectional concrete garage that I would like to replace, it's 6m x 3m and sits on a concrete base.

I've not dug down to see the depth of the base yet, but at one point where the level of the ground is lower you can see at least 5inch of depth of the base.

Is it a reasonable thought to think this could take the weight of breeze block?

My idea is to make a single skin building from the lightweight thermalight style blocks and get a family member to rough cast the exterior to make it water proof and yet keep it lighter than concrete block.

Sponsored Links
It's not unusual for the exposed edges of a cast slab to appear thicker. I personally would not risk the weight of the masonry plus roof on a presumed thickness slab. If you were building from scratch you would have thickened the edges of the slab as well as added some mesh to tie the edges in.

I'd get the digger in and hoof the lot out and build strip foundations. Building off a slab is a poor and unreliable way to construct a garage. Water seepage at floor level is always a risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back