Another Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wish to start a concrete block garage this summer. I also want to extend my existing driveway to reach it.
The scheme depends greatly on my neighbours agreement. We often chat and have a good relationship.
I live in a small estate, less than 8 years old. The layout is very hard to describe and I will throw up a picture asap.
Essentially, detached houses arcing around a turning circle/road or close. They are not square to each other with an angle of say... 10 - 15 degrees. The priniciple is to provide for shared security as the houses look over each other. This works quite well but I only have an 8 foot gap between mine and the neighbour. My garden at the rear is large and I have an ideal level spot that will take a 6m by 4m block garage.
Imagine slightly wedge shaped front gardens/driveways. There is also a difference in levels of about 1 foot down to my neighbours.
( I know a picture is necessary here, will do that soonest )
Both mine and the neighbours house have concrete paths surrounding our houses. I have suggested that we can build a drive out of concrete, that provides shared vehicular access to our rear gardens.
Driveway will be 100mm compacted sub base 100mm readymix ( or whatever the irish equivalent is )

Legalities notwithstanding, I would appreciate some help with how to go about this project.
1) I presume ( in order to avoid getting near dpc I need to lower my half of the driveway to get it level?
I thought to use maybe a course of bricks flush with the concrete surface to delineate the boundaries....
2) Can I pour footings for the garage from the same mix?
3) With respect to the garage, can anyone help with an easy to follow link to ( photographic preferably ) instructions on how to install footings/dpc/dpm/floor. I dont understand how to connect dpm to dpc for example? Or indeed if I need to. I wish to learn though and take my time with the project.
4) The roof is the other hard part, but with Kingspan just up the road I may be able to get my hands on some cheap insulated panels.
I would be grateful for help in finding an easy to follow guide on how construct a roof. I thought to build one wall higher than the other and create a monopitch roof perhaps...

Thanks for all your ideas and pointers ( photo to follow )

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back