Another Hive installation question

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hey guys,

I've done some basic wiring before (sockets, lighting etc.), so I figured I'd try my hand at self installing a hive thermostat. The problem is after removing the front plate from the old thermostat I'm stumped on the wiring setup.
This is the setup in the old unit:
XwnqMka.png

Here's the wiring diagram for that unit:
full

Finally the wiring diagram for the Hive dual channel:
hive-jpg.141674

If I had to make a guess here I would say I need connect NO 4 from the old unit to 'Hot water on' and NO3 to 'Heating on' and leave hot water off and heating off disconnected. What's really throwing me off is the earth wire sleeve around the wire going into NO 4. Maybe there's something I'm missing here? Obviously I don't really want to play a guessing game here.

Sponsored Links
I would say I need connect NO 4 from the old unit to 'Hot water on' and NO3 to 'Heating on'
And you would be correct. The brown wire links between L, 1 & 2 are made internally with the Hive and should be discarded.

What's really throwing me off is the earth wire sleeve around the wire going into NO 4.
Basically the original installer has used the spare green/yellow wire as a live conductor. It's done frequently but is not really good practice. It appears to have something written on it, but it should at least be identified as live wire by the use of a brown sleeve over the top.

And you would be correct. The brown wire links between L, 1 & 2 are made internally with the Hive and should be discarded.

Basically the original installer has used the spare green/yellow wire as a live conductor. It's done frequently but is not really good practice. It appears to have something written on it, but it should at least be identified as live wire by the use of a brown sleeve over the top.

Following your advice I went ahead with it and it worked perfectly! Thank you very much!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back