Another paint flaking thread!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ve seen a few paint flaking threads here and I’d just like some help in confirming this is damp damage.

Yes we had a leak from the flat above but it was a little further away from where it’s all peeled

can I just sand and paint again and what paint (zinnser) or otherwise should I use for a diy repair!!

699289E6-E9E6-4A37-B0D2-3CF2308D6D0C.jpeg

9AB74619-B96A-4006-B9F9-A099047B0864.jpeg

DA37924D-A5AA-4977-B31C-66A72911BBB7.jpeg
550DA465-A9D8-4B4C-81FA-8E424E87963E.jpeg

Sponsored Links
ChloeRadshaw1, good evening.

It is not uncommon to find your situation, where the leak upstairs is some distance from the damage you can see inside your property.

What can occur is that the leaking water runs over the upper surface of the plasterboard untill it hits an obstacle or downward recess [the beam]

As for repair as you note Zinsser.

When did the leak occur? and [most important] has the leak been addressed?

Suggest you try to place a piece of Kitchen roll on to any larger damp patches and see if the plaster is indeed dry? the paper will attract moisture quite fast, if the wall is still "damp" suggest you beg or borrow a fan, do not bother with any heat, just adjust the fan so it is playing on to the walls and beam.

Ken.

Thanks so much. The leak was a few months ago and has been fixed.

Now it’s dry. What paint is the right one to use. Zinnser 123 or zinnser primer sealer

Go for Zinnser bullseye 123, Chloe - not as quick drying as the ‘bin’ but seems to stick better.
Very limited smell and covers everything, especially the likes of nicotine which always bleeds through.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Amazing thank you. Do I have to put a top coat on or can I just use the 123 a few times and leave it.
Thanks again

I have a rear small hall access to the rear yard in a Georgian property, two external walls were wet, by wet I mean when tested with moisture meter, the readings were up to 60% on the plaster which had been applied to the masonry external wall.

I had tried External masonry paint, a lot od the stain blockers, the stains came back and lots, and lots, and lots of flaking.

Must admit I did not believe that this [new fangled] Zinsser 123 would work???

Applies ONE COAT and now over a month later No Staining, No Flaking ??

It really does do what is states on the tin.

Ken.

If you’re happy with the primer colour then you can leave it but only if its white :whistle:
Give it an emulsion coat, it’ll repel moisture a bit better.
Although I’m at risk of wearing a furry hooded anorak, this product coats metal well too.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back