Another POTW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... or why conduit through walls is "a good idea" :whistle:
At church we had a couple of occasions when a fuse blew, but on repairing it (rewireable 15A in ceramic carrier) it was fine again. Of course, finding the fault would have entailed a certain amount of work as no-one knows where anything runs (or at least, that was the case). Then one day, someone mentioned that a socket wasn't working.
The non-working socket was a spur with 2.5mm² in harmonised colours, off a radial wired in (I think) 7/.036 - roughly 4.5mm². Found that this bit of 2.5 had a very very low IR, and the L conductor was open circuit. At the time I found this I didn't have time to fix it, so disconnected the spur.
The other week I got to have a go at it, and when I pulled the old cable out, the problem was "fairly obvious" :eek: See if you can spot it :ROFLMAO:

100_0939.jpg

100_0941.jpg

Clearly something has compromised the insulation and it's festered away until it's finally "blasted clear". On closer inspection, it looks rather like our little rodent friends have been snacking on it.
100_0940.jpg

At first I thought the cable might have been damaged when it was pulled in. We decided to fit some conduit which meant drilling a bigger hole, and it's clear that a lot of the stones in the wall are a bit flinty with some very sharp edges - and the cable had been just put through the wall with no protection. But from the picture above, I think it looks more like rodents.

Of course, with a 200 year old lime and rubble wall, just "popping the long drill bit through" isn't anything like modern brick or block. So I've now had my first experience of filling in large holes with lime mortar, and patching the lime plastering. It needed patching before I had a go at it (the previous work had left things a bit fragile), but it needed even more when I'd finished with the big drill :rolleyes: Conveniently, one of the churchwardens has been in the building trade and worked with lime construction before - so it wasn't quite a case of "well the videos on the internet say ..." :whistle:

Sponsored Links
Oh yes, getting all those cables into the socket terminals is "tricky" !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back