Another quote query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This semi has a small flat piece of flat roof, because of the way the bay windows are made, non-symmetrical.
It's a 30's house. I looked at this in the mid 80's and stuck a bit of flashband over where I thought the lead looked a bit tired. I'd been told that these little flat roofs could give a problem sooner or later.

There's been no trouble until now, it's leaking a little.

The patch of roof is shared between two houses.
The flat part is about 600 x 800, plus whatever's curved up under the valleys & tiles on 3 sides
I'm guessing that the cover needs replacing - I don't have a ladder long enough at the moment.

We've had a quote to replace it:
remove old lead and whatever's below,
fit two layers of waterproof felt and then lead
12 year guarantee.
£611 + vat.

Comments please!

Is this a one man half day job, or a two man 2 day job, or...?

roof1.gif

Sponsored Links
the material isnt cheap for a job like that , i would suggest its reasonable price if the jobs done correctly ie stripping couple of rows of tiles to make sure new lead has plenty cover.
more than likely a scaffold would go up also.i would say 2men for a day is reasonable..its a rather small area of roof but you cant go in and buy small peices of lead 3m is smalest roll im able to buy hope this helps

It seems like a normal quote if completed correctly. Make sure the details are LSA approved because a lead roof of that size should last a lot longer than 12 years!

Not an easy one to judge really, from your sketch it looks like you have valleys to consider as well as a lot of water collecting in a small area. It sounds a bit expensive to me. get more quotes.

Sponsored Links
you cant go in and buy small peices of lead 3m is smalest roll
Someone else I called said that.
Surely roofers don't charge for 3 metres when they're only using one?
Sparkies cut their cable, plumbers cut their pipe,...

The quote says they're going to "erect a ladder" (!) - no mention of scaffold.

I have plenty of part rolls of lead in my van. Its a one man job in my opinion get a few more prices as I can only see a couple hundred quid in materials.

Depends on the company my compnay the way i work it is if i have to buy 1 of something but only need half i charge it to the job , it may or may not be of use in the future but if its stored you need to pay for storage some way or another if you own the yard you need to be paid for the time of storing if not then you rent a yard.

Thats just my view im sure it will unsettle lots of people but thats the way i work it.i personaly think its an ok quote i agree 12 years gaurentee isnt enough should be 25years.

What part of the country are you in also as rates vary.Thing is if you think its expensive get other quotes never go for cheapest in my opinion but middle of the road is always safe bet.

hope this helps

Hi chris dont see you much in plumbing forums or kevplumb either

Have you had a quote for EDPM membrane that a small roof 800mm x 600mm ?

If you want a cheaper quote then I would suggest a change of material. Zinc or stainless steel would be cheaper and last longer than lead.

We called another local roofer. £100 materials, £100 labour, 5 year warranty "but it'll last a lot longer than that".

He didn't use any underfelt - there wasn't any before and that lasted 80 years.
He also refixed a hip tile free,
We gave him an extra £20.

I didn't see him do it but apparently he burned 2 bits of lead together. I do wonder exactly how he did that, but I assume it's not hard to do it so it doesn't cause a problem.

£200 a bit different to £730, innit.

Sounds like hes lead burned 2 sections of lead together which hes had left over from a job, thats why hes done it so cheap.
Did he use correct code lead, he might have been better of using the 2 bits of lead, by using a mop stick join to allow for movement.
The lead burned join could potentionaly be a weak spot, due to the movement of the lead.

you saved £510 :D , if they guy welded or soldered the lead properly their will be no problem = result

. I do wonder exactly how he did that, but I assume it's not hard to do it so it doesn't cause a problem.

£.
It`s no harder than servicing a combi ;) Just that Old Skool Plumbers know how to do it - and belt it with sticks too :mrgreen:

he should have re felted and used correct under felt regardless of it lasting the past 80 years youve saved alot of money but te gaurentee has dropped 10 years and the guy done a differnt job from in your first quote. unless you in a suvere area the lead will probably hold , do you have the gaurentee or the guys word? big difference also.

It doesn't sound like he's completed the job properly. Underlay is used for several reasons to leave it off is just cutting corners. You shouldn't need to burn a join in that size of roof. It will probably last long enough for you to get your monies worth out of it but the problem with a roof is you won't know it's leaking until it's too late! And that's when it starts costing £££££'s :eek:
Surely the last thing you want to skimp on is the roof?!
But then I would say that cos I'm a roofer........................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back