Another Room Stat query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some advise on a room stat please.

I have a Glow Worm Economy Plus gas boiler. Model number EP40F. I believe its over 20 years old.

My programmer is a Drayton Lifestyle LP522.

I dont have a room thermostat but I have TRVs on the living room and bedroom radiators and in the hall.

Ive been looking on this site for some advise and was thinking about getting a Honeywell CM907 programmable stat as my house gets very cold overnight and I get a lot of condensation on the windows which is causing a bit of mould. I was thinking I could get one of these and set it so the temperature doesnt drop too much.

My question is my setup compatible with this room stat? I have ha varing advise from people. One electrician said my boiler was too old for a programmable room stat and one said just to use the TRVs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Any system can have a room stat fitted. As for the suggestion of using the trv's then that is not wrong either but less convenient.

A programmable stat could be set to make the 'off' temperature keep to about 12C or whatever you decide is enough to stop the condensation, but obviously your fuel bills will increase.

Thanks for your quick replay gas4you.

That is exactly what I was wanting to do. Set a minimum temperature during the day when Im out and overnight. I was put off by some conflicting advise from the electricians.

Am I right in thinking that the easiest thing to do with my setup is to keep the Drayton programmer for the hot water. Remove the wiring for the central heating side of the current programmer and put the 2 wires into the Honeywell CM907 I intend to buy? If its that simple I would be happy doing this myself. I have a multimeter and would be comfortable turning off the mains supply to the programmer.

No need to disconnect the drayton from the ch, just set the ch to 24Hrs or constant.

Wire the Honeywell switched side in series between the drayton and any other controls or boiler depending on your set up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Dave.

I will order one up and give it a try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back