Another shower cable query!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to replace an electric shower, currently 8.4kw, (35 amp fuse, old fuse box, no RCD). Have read some other posts re 6 and 10mm cables, but I'm not sure what my size / rating my cable is.

The existing cable is c. 15 years old T&E, no markings on exposed part of the cable by the fuse box, but cable clips are marked "14 x 7", the 14mm ties in with the width of the external insulation of the cable. Cable appears to be in good condition, never had any problems with the shower in that time (until it sprung a leak!). It's only a short wiring run, c. 1.5 m. exposed up wall (under the stairs) and 3.5m. in floor void / lath & plaster wall void (bathroom is at top of stairs).

Can anyone identify the cable and tell me what power shower I might be able to upgrade to?

Thanking you in anticipation!

Sponsored Links
From the TLC website, 6mm T&E cable is about 14mm X 7mm. 10mm T&E is about 17mm X 10mm.

From the same site, It looks like 8.4 KW is about the maximum load for a 6mm cable provided it is not enclosed in insulation, but someone who knows more about that will probably be along soon....

6mm T+E clipped direct ( assuming no insulation in the floor / wall ? ) is 47A..
that's 11.2KW at 240V...
but personally I wouldn't go above 9.5KW on 6mm...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back