Another single oven question!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing new kitchen with most sockets staying in same place. Question (which has been posted many times) in case regs have changed is my new oven imported from germany has come with lead and moulded euro plug converted to uk already installed. Oven is AEG BE3003001M and rating plate shows 3Kw. All kitchen sockets are fed from 32amp RCD with induction hob on its own 32amp 6mm feed.
Oven Manual states the following, and the question is can i plug this oven straight in to kitchen ring on its own single socket fed from localised fcu.. other appliances to be connected will be usual suspects, dishwasher, microwave, toaster maybe kettle and fridge freezer. Thx..
be3003001m.jpg

Sponsored Links
It comes with a plug, so it can just be plugged into any socket.

But putting it onto a kitchen ring which also has all the usual suspects may cause an imbalance in the loading - the recommendation (not an actual rule) in the Wiring Regulations is that ovens >2kW should be on their own circuit.

Best idea would be to put a socket on the cooker circuit for it.

Thanks for advice. Issue I have with cooker radial option is described in this link http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-forum-general-electrical-forum/81431-aeg-induction-hob-power-function.html so may not be an option could be that I go with kitchen ring and see how we go.. Just building info in case I have to get Mr spark round.. As like to have an idea before I get advice from electrician.

Sponsored Links
My Belling stand alone with all switched on is around the 60 amp mark, but recommended supply is still 32A. It actually uses less on boost than normal as with boost the other ring of the pair is disabled. And in real terms we only used boost when new and testing, it will boil water fast, but food boost just burns it, and can't use boost and auto boil then simmer and the auto boil then simmer is really a good feature.

As to the induction hob what we need to remember there is a maximum amount of heat we can use, and unless your in a commercial kitchen swapping pans all the time then power used = power required + power wasted and with an induction hob less power is wasted so power used is less than any other hob even if the data sheet says it has higher output you just can't use it.

With the exception of a range cooker, today ovens are designed again to use as little power as possible with really good insulation and a minimum of material which will sink the heat supplied, this means fast warm up and of course cool down times. My mothers old electric oven would take at least 1/2 an hour to warm up there was so much steel in it. Our new oven is at temperature in 15 minutes after that point the elements are cycling on/off so in real terms the cable is only loaded for 15 minutes so even on a kitchen ring the load is not there long enough to really worry about it.

So today it's not the oven which needs a dedicated supply it's the tumble drier. The oven only used 3kW for as long as a kettle, that's not a problem. Tumble drier can take maximum power for over an hour. So yes the tumble drier should likely have a dedicated supply, but the oven only really needs that dedicated supply when it uses more than 13A.

As a P.S. the instructions say it comes without a plug, and you say it came with a plug, so clearly those are wrong instructions.

Thanks to you both for valued comments.. has at least helped me to better understand cooker circuit diversity i read online.. from your comments Eric makes me think the oven would therefore be fine on general kitchen circuit with other general appliances. In addition Hob is in island where dedicated 6mm is. Oven will be going inside tall cabinet on other side of kitchen 4 meters wall distance from hob, so if i was to use dedicated cooker circuit for both would need to extend for oven.. no doubt there is limitations on extending/spuring off from current cooker outlet.??

You should get an electrician involved asap, as cabling to/from isolators, oven positions and islands needs to be fully decided (and done) before the kitchen is installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back