Another years' graft done..

Sponsored Links
Ah yes, the annual pre-turkey oven clean in case others think you're a skanky bar-steward. :whistle:

Sponsored Links
what did you clean the glass with?

our oven is now well dirty and I really need to sort it out

My wife keeps our oven quite clean but sometimes you still get a build up of deposits on the glass and side walls.
2 months ago she paid someone £95 to professionally clean it. It came up like brand spanking new. He said as it was so clean to begin with he could de-scale the kettle, (needed it), and clean the microwave if it needed it. She said ok but when he checked the microwave he said it didn't need any attention and gave her £30 back.
Guess who will be getting a call next year.

what did you clean the glass with?

our oven is now well dirty and I really need to sort it out
The doors can be removed and fully dismantled. They are triple glazed and the two removable pieces from each door are put in the (over night) oven cleaning bag along with all the racks and rack supports and a bottle of cleaning solution. The body of the door is cleaned with an oven cleaning paste.
The oven and grill are continually sprayed with oven stuff then left over night.
I attack the racks the next morning with metal scourers and a drill attachment for the awkward bits. Same with the oven and grill body. The roof of the oven is the toughest bit.
The glass lamp covers are also cleaned. An area of about 2m around the sink and the oven itself also have to be cleaned afterwards.
All in all about 6 hours work to dismantle, soak, clean and re-assemble. I wreck two pairs of rubber gloves in the process, usually down to handling the drill.

The doors can be removed and fully dismantled. They are triple glazed and the two removable pieces from each door are put in the (over night) oven cleaning bag along with all the racks and rack supports and a bottle of cleaning solution. The body of the door is cleaned with an oven cleaning paste.
The oven and grill are continually sprayed with oven stuff then left over night.
I attack the racks the next morning with metal scourers and a drill attachment for the awkward bits. Same with the oven and grill body. The roof of the oven is the toughest bit.
The glass lamp covers are also cleaned. An area of about 2m around the sink and the oven itself also have to be cleaned afterwards.
All in all about 6 hours work to dismantle, soak, clean and re-assemble. I wreck two pairs of rubber gloves in the process, usually down to handling the drill.

great, thanks for that.

I tried putting the glass doors in a oven cleaning bag, but I think I only did it for a couple of hours, probably where I was going wrong.

I tried putting the glass doors in a oven cleaning bag, but I think I only did it for a couple of hours, probably where I was going wrong.
The length of time spent in the bag makes a marked difference. Overnight is best. The amount of time spent once out of the bag makes a difference too. Remove and clean one item at a time as the crud does begin to re-harden.

All requires graft and enthusiasm. If you are not up for it dunner bother.

Whenever I've cleaned our oven, I've used that oven cleaning stuff and a couple of boxes of those wire scourers. Ended up with cramp and a hand like a claw. Bloody hard work.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back